*+ Portfolio +*

Benji frowned as he looked at his portfolio. He didn't have time to change his mind, but he also couldn't risk submitting something he wasn't proud of. He looked down at his desk that had photos that he took from a couple of weeks ago. Some of the pictures he took were supposed to be added to the portfolio, but Benji convinced himself that they weren't good enough. Benji picked up his phone looking at the time. It was almost 3pm. He knew he shouldn't have slept in. He tiredly runs his hands through his hair. He had less than a month to submit this portfolio. And at this point he was really starting to doubt himself.

He takes a deep breath and tries to remind himself that he's doing all of this for a reason. Benji was to stressed to even continue trying to finish the portfolio right now. He changes the tab on his computer and goes to Spotify. He puts on his favorite playlist and listens to music, while he draws on a on a piece of paper that he recently ripped out of his notebook. Benji was never really that good at drawing but he did enjoy just doin little doodles here and there.

While he drew he thought of places that he could take really good photos at. As the idea lingered in his mind he decided to do it. He set down his pencil and picked up His camera. It was only 3:42 so he had more than enough time to take pictures and add them to his portfolio. For the first time in a while Benji felt really confident about taking photos, and not worrying about how they'll end up looking.

• • •

Benji focused very carefully as he waited for the right moment to take the picture. The golden light from the sun hitting the trees made the photo look 10x better. The camera make a small click as he pushed down the button. He felt happy with himself that he decided to go out a take more pictures. He hope that when he got home and looked back at the pictures he took he would still like them, and not end up changing his mind. He put the photo in his bag that he brought with him and turned around to look for Cindi. He decided to bring her with him since she hasn't gone on a walk.

"Cindi." He called out. She immediately came running to him as her leash followed behind her. She seemed happy to finally roam around outside. Benji kneeled down to pet her. "C'mon Cindi we gotta go home." He tells her. Benji picks up her leash and stands up. Benji was anxious to see what his pictures would look like once he got home. He wouldn't know what he would do if he didn't like them. There were only few pictures he could take until he just ended up hating all of them.

• • •

Cindi ran inside once Benji opened the front door. His other dog blue ran towards him when she realized he was finally home. He picked her up petting her happily. "Oh you're home, come sit down for dinner." He father says to him as he walks by. Benji stares at his dad as he puts down Blue. He went upstairs to his room to put down his camera and photos. He made sure to not look at them, he wanted to wait after dinner.

After that, he goes back downstairs into the kitchen. Benji felt kinda awkward sitting down with his family. He hasn't eaten dinner with them ever since he decided to go to college, that was the first and last time he sat at the dinner table with them. But now he thinks that maybe they forgot about the whole argument they had that day. Benjis mother sets down a plate in front of him. "Thank you." He says quietly. "Mhm." She hums.

"Where did you head off to earlier yesterday?" His dad asks. Benji rolls his eyes. He knew exactly why he was asking that question. "I just went to take some photos." He responds. Both his parents glare at him. "You were gone for a long time don't you think." His mom says. "Like I said, I was just taking pictures." Benji repeats himself. He stared eating his food faster, he now realizes that his parents still haven't gotten over that fight. "Benji we aren't stupid, you can either tell us the truth or-"

Benji drops his fork on his plate and stands up. "Thank you for dinner." He says trying his best not to raise his voice. He storms back to his room making sure not to slam his door, even though he wanted to very badly. He sat down at his desk and put on some music on his laptop to calm himself down. He hated that his parents still treat him like he's a little kid. He was going off to college soon, he wanted them to be proud of him. Benji quickly wiped the tear that was falling down his face.

He had better things to worry about than his parents. He picked up his photos that he took earlier that day. A huge smile grew on Benjis face as he looked at them. They were perfect. After looking at those pictures Benji completely forgot about his parents. He felt so proud of himself for taking such amazing photos. Tonight might be the night that Benji will actually finish his portfolio. He picked up his phone to text Addy about how happy he was.

"Addy guess what😄" He texted. "What!" She replied. "I'm finishing my portfolio🤩✨" He slightly laughed at himself. He always used emojis whenever he text. "I'm so happy :-) you have to show me once you finish" she sent. "I will, I'm gonna go work on it now😌✌️" He sent. "Okay ttyl😎" she texted back. Benji smiled. He was glad he had a friend like Addy. She was the only one who really stuck around after they both graduated. Benji set down his phone and put all his focus on his portfolio.

• • •

Benji looked over his shoulder as he heard a knock on his door. "Come in." He knew who it was so he didn't bother asking. His younger brother Rowyn come in with a mug of coffee in his hand. "Here, lazy ass." He says as he sets the mug down next to Benji. "Hey don't say that or I'll tell mom." He says in a sarcastic tone. He didn't care that his brother said curse words sometimes. Rowyn smiles. "Can you ask mom if I can have your room once you leave?" He asks as he sits down on Benjis bed. Benji stares at him as he takes a sip of his coffee. "Why don't you just ask her?" He asks. "Because I already did and she said no." He sighs.

"I don't know what to tell you then, I'm done talking to mom and dad." He explains. Rowyn shrugs as he gets off his bed. "Oh well, can I see your portfolio?" He leans over Benjis desk. Benji turns his laptop towards him. "What do you think?" He asks. Rowyn smiles. "It sucks," He says. Benji punches his shoulder. Rowyn giggles. "I'm joking, I'm joking. It's actually really good." He says honestly. "That's what I thought." Benji smiles. Rowyn rubs his shoulder. "That really hurt." He frowns. "Whatever, now get out before I punch you again." Benji tells him. Rowyn rolls his eyes. "Asshole." He says under his breath.

"I heard that." Benji says. "Good." Rowyn replies. Benji laughed. He turns back to his computer and continues finishing his work. Benji decided to get as much done as he could tonight, he knew his body couldn't handle another all nighter. So when he wakes up the next morning he could finish it early. Surprisingly everything was going well for Benji and soon he would off to his dream college.

• • •