Chapter 4

Today was the day of the operation to remove Carla's ovaries and womb. They'd been dreading this day for a eight days, ever since they knew surgery was needed.

Carla was petrified. Not necessarily for the surgery, she'd already had a kidney transplant so she knew what to expect. She was more scared about how final this is. After this operation, it was impossible to have children. That option will completely disappear. She felt bad for Peter; selfish that she couldn't give him something she knew he wants, even if he keeps saying no children is fine for him.

Ever since the previous miscarriage, a child was everything he ever wanted. The idea that that won't happen was so upsetting but he would prefer Carla to be healthy. This surgery was a good thing because it's going to get rid of the cancer, that's what he kept telling himself.

"Are you alright?" Peter asks, quietly.

They were in the hospital now, she had her gown on and lay in bed nervously awaiting the operation. Michelle was also in the room with the pair. Roy said he'd come after the surgery as he didn't want to intrude right now whilst it was so emotional. He was told a few days ago, he was shocked. After what he went through with Hayley, the thought that the same thing might happen with his 'daughter' was frightening however he had a positive outlook and promised he'd be there for her throughout the horrible experience.

"Mmm-Hmm." She nods, looking ahead with no expression shown in her face.

"When are you going under?" Michelle questions.

"Not long now." Peter replies, worry washing over him.

"Okay..." She nods, a silence then occurring for a while.

"Sarah said she'll be looking after the factory for the foreseeable." Peter says.

"Did you tell her?" Carla turns to look at him, the first time since they got to the hospital.

"No, I just said you're ill and won't be in for a while. She said get well soon."

"Pff...if only she knew what was really happening, getting a flamin' hysterectomy." Carla bites her lip.

"Love, stop putting your barriers up." He sighs, rubbing her arm softly.

"I'm not!" She snaps.

"Alright." Peter nods, defeated.

"Are you ready for the op now, Carla?" The nurse questions.

"Ready as ever." She sighs, looking up at Peter who looks like he's about to break down at any second.

"Have you got anymore questions about what will happen throughout the operation, things like that?" The nurse asks.

"Nope." Carla shakes her head, releasing a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"Right, I'm going to ask you to sign this. It's just a consent form for the surgery, I'm sure you're familiar with it from your kidney transplant." The nurse hands Carla the form, and she nods.

"Right, you be brave, okay? I love you so much. You'll be fine and I'll see you in a bit." He kisses her, stroking her head.

"I love you." She replies.

"See you later, babe. Everything will be okay." Michelle hugs her.

"Bye, Chelle."

As the nurses start moving Carla's bed, Peter's lip starts trembling and tears started escaping down down his face.

He spun around so he wasn't facing Carla as she left, he really didn't want her seeing him like this. Michelle noticed the state Peter was in and looked at him with concern.