Chapter 10

A couple of weeks had passed and Carla and Peter are on their way to find out if the cancer had spread.

Thankfully, her hair loss was nothing too noticeable as it just thinned out quite considerably rather than getting bald spots. Her confidence was still very much non-existence though, meaning that Peter had to tell her how beautiful she was more than usual. Last week she attended her last chemotherapy session so she's hoping this'll be the end of her low self-esteem regarding her hair loss.

The pair are sat, hand in hand, in the waiting room at the hospital. They've been here so many times but this time feels different. This time they had hope that this was the end.

"Peter, I'm scared." She mumbles.

"It'll be fine." He reassures her.

"We don't know that though, Peter. When we get my tests back, we might find that nothings improved and that I have to go through it all again."

"Ey, positive thinking." he nudges her, gently.

"Easy for you to say." She mutters.

"None of this is easy for me, Car. But thinking negatively will get us nowhere. Well, apart from making us believe that you'll never get better. So, I'd much prefer thinking the way I do."

"You are sweet, d'ya know that?" She smiles, slightly.

"Sweet? Really?" He scrunches his nose up.

"Yeah." She nods, looking over at him.

"But seriously, love, try not to worry. I know it's easier said than done but you've not found anymore lumps or felt different have you?"

"No."

"There you go then."

"But, baby, it's going to hurt you a whole lot more if you don't even think about what could happen. There's a high risk that we do need to go through this all again. I don't want you to be let down by me."

"Darling, I'd never be let down by you. Ever," She says, softly. "And anyway, I have a surprise for you."

"What surprise?" She frowns.

"Well it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you now, would it?" Peter chuckles.

"But you know I hate surprises."

10 minutes later, the couple are sat with the doctor.

"So, how are you feeling?"

"Nervous." Carla mutters. "Have you got the tests back?"

"Yes we do."

"So. Come on then, have I passed?"

"Your tests shown that theirs no cancerous cells. You're clear of cancer." The doctor announces.

"Oh my..." Carla gasps, a hand covering her mouth as her eyes well up.

"You've done it, baby. You've beaten it." Peter cries, holding her, tightly.

"I love you." He adds, placing kisses onto the top of her head.

"So...that's it then?" Carla clarifies.

"You'll still have regular check ups, it can always return but for now, everything is looking perfect." The doctor replies.

"Oh my god." Carla sobs.

"It's over." Peter smiles, tears streaming down his face.

"Thanks so much. To everyone here, for all the help." Carla says.

"You're very welcome, just doing our job and this is our favourite part. Now, before you go, there's one more thing you need to do."

The three of them walk out the room and make their way to a bell which is hanging from the wall.