Ch 18

Sneaking Finian into the Montcroix estate in a way that the others wouldn't see him was not as complicated as the group had previously thought. Without thinking about it twice, Fin showed them the way through the window of Alistair's childhood room. Raj then led them to a guest room where they wouldn't be disturbed.

Jack approached his friend cautiously.

"You want a shower?" the teen asked. "Maybe some clean clothes? And I'll let Al know we're here. He'll be really glad to see you."

Finian felt as if someone held his heart in a tight grip at the mention of Alistair. He gave a slow nod.

"I'll go find him some of my clothes to change into," Lee suggested as he rushed over to the room he shared with his mates.

Before the young man realized it, he found himself being sprayed by hot water. Despite the temperature and despite how Healer Nigel had explained how Galamin had manipulated his mind into believing that he had been raped, Finian still felt as if he was. He would have stayed under the shower long enough for the hot water to be used up, but Lee'en knocked on the bathroom door and called for him.

Finian dried himself off and wrapped a towel around his waist before opening the bathroom door to let the pink-haired Unicorn inside. He was relieved to see that the clothes consisted of a pair of boxers, a pair of cargos, and a shirt with a hooded vest attached to it. They felt as comfortable as they looked. Thank you, he signed to the Unicorn.

You're welcome. Lee'en signed back. Though his knowledge of sign language wasn't as advanced as Jack and Fin's, he had learned quite a bit of it during the two years he spent with them. When they first met, he had no other way of communicating with Jack otherwise, after all.

"How is he doing?" Alistair's voice drifted through the door. "Do you think he'll be out soon? I don't want to burst in there. I know he likely needs a little time to wrap his head around everything. Not seeing him is killing me. Are you sure it was right for me not to go to him right away, Jack?"

"Yeah," Fin heard his best friend answer. "Just give him a chance to realize he's safe and get his head wrapped around that. He's not gonna like it if everybody hovers over him."

Once again, Finian felt as if his heart was being squeezed too tightly. He swayed on the spot, unused to the sensation of losing his balance. But, Lee'en was right there to steady him.

"Hey, just say the word, and you don't have to see him," Lee offered. "Do you want him here?"

Finian gave a sharp nod and stepped out of the bathroom.

"Fin!" Alistair stood up from the bed and took two quick steps toward the teen before stopping, clearly wanting to sweep the human into his arms but afraid it wouldn't be welcome. "I can't tell you how good it is to see you."

The Nightmare looked like he hadn't slept in days. His cobalt hair was a mess, and there were dark circles under his eyes.

Finian reached over, before even realizing it, and gently tugged on a section of Alistair's hair. He then held that lock to the side of his face as tears began to fall from his eyes.

The Nightmare looked torn for a moment, his hands hovering over Finian for long moments before gathering the teen close and tucking him under his chin.

"You're alright now," Alistair soothed. "You're safe. It's going to be alright. I swear it."

Finian's fingers curled into Al's shirt as he clutched the fabric. He merely continued to weep. The sound of Alistair's voice felt like an oasis after being hopelessly lost in a desert.