Chapter One

"Cooking school?" asked Miles. He appeared to be trying very hard to think before he spoke.

"No, no, Miles. Not just cooking school. This is more of a class for experts to become even better and to learn new techniques. More of a grad school for cooks, in a way," said Myrtle. Her white hair stood on end like Einstein's, which seemed to emphasize her enthusiasm.

Miles's face held a very cautious expression. He pushed his rimless glasses up his nose. "This class was something that you signed up for all by yourself?"

"Well, certainly. Don't you understand how classes work? It's not as if I received a letter in the mail telling me that I'd been signed up for the course without my knowledge. It's not jury duty."

"Red didn't have anything to do with this, then?" asked Miles.

"Not a bit. You know that I automatically try to get out of everything that Red signs me up for because he seems adept at digging up busywork for me. This is something to do for fun. Elaine mentioned it to me. It was to be one of her many hobbies, but she had a conflict for this one. She'll be in the car driving Jack to preschool when it starts. But I thought that you might want to do the class with me. It would be more fun with a friend there and you like to cook."

Miles knitted his brows. "I wouldn't say I liked to cook as a hobby, though. I wouldn't have said that you liked to cook as a hobby."

"That's one of the best things about retirement, Miles. We get to develop our skills. Who knows? I could be the next celebrity cook. For heaven's sake. Have you got indigestion or something today? You've had the oddest expressions cross your face in the last five minutes. I've got Pepto-Bismol if you need it."

He shook his head. "Where did you say this class was?"

"I didn't. It's at the community college."

"Which is not exactly within walking distance," noted Miles. "I now see behind your flattering desire to have me enroll in the class with you. I have wheels."

"Whatever. I think you'll enjoy it. Pure and simple. The instructor is Louvenia Defore."

Miles said, "I think I know who she is, but I didn't realize she was a master chef."

"I don't recall saying that the class was taught by a master chef. This is Bradley, North Carolina, not Atlanta, Georgia. The class will be taught by a frequent blue-ribbon winner at the county fair."

"Got it," said Miles a bit wearily. He paused. "What day is it taught? I might be busy that day. Or have a conflict." His voice indicated hope that some sort of obstacle might happily appear.

"It's all the days. It's a two-week, everyday class. That way we build up our expertise quickly. And I know you're not busy because you were just commenting yesterday that you had such a quiet stretch coming up," said Myrtle, beginning to get cross.