2. Bikers and Car Trouble

"Come on you stupid piece of shit!" Nora shouted, banging her hand against the steering wheel.

It was a little after 8 o'clock and she had just finished her dinner. She had made friends with the waitress, whose name Nora came to know as Sadie Devour. After a mindful chat about Nora's book, which was one of Sadie's favorites she learned, they exchanged numbers and agreed to have a meetup sometime soon with coffee to get to know each other.

Nora wanted nothing more than to go home, take a nice soothing bath, jump into bed and finish her book before calling it a night. But fate thought it otherwise because when Nora went to start her truck, it wouldn't. It was turning over but not starting. Great. Just what I need.

She slowly lowered her head into the steering wheel, as to not cause it to honk the horn (hers was touchy and the wrong move started the horn and tended not to stop unless you popped open the fuse panel under the steering wheel, disconnected and then reconnected the fuse.) It was a total pain in Nora's ass when it happened, but she had not had time to get it fixed.

Maybe this was karma's way of punishing her. She hadn't fixed a simple thing like a fuse, and now the entire truck wouldn't start. Thanks Karma!

A knock sounded on the window next to her head. Nora let out a squeak of fright and jumped. She looked out, the face of one of the bikers next to her window. The one with the blonde hair. Good looking. Like Prince Charming.

Nora indicated she was going to open the door and the man stepped back a couple of paces to not get hit with the heavy door. She slid out and dropped to the ground unsteady. The man grabbed a hold of her arm to steady her. After she was steady, he let go.

"Thanks. It doesn't matter how short the truck, I always manage to do that."

His mouth turned up. "It's no problem Darlin'. It never hurts to help out a pretty lady."

Nora felt a blush rush to her cheeks at his statement. What a charmer. "Ooh. Sly one aren't you? Name's Nora." She stretched her hand out to him.

"Jax. Nice to meet you Nora." He shook her hand and held it for a second longer than necessary before letting go. He nodded towards her truck. "Won't start?"

Nora snorted. "What gave it away? The fact I've spent the past three minutes relentlessly tryin' to get it to turn over or the utter look of defeat on my face?"

A chorus of laughter sounded. She looked behind Jax to find the other five a few feet away standing next to their bikes. Apparently, they found her statement hilarious.

"Easy Darlin'. Wanted to check, not just assume." Jax put his hands up in mock surrender.

Nora let out a huff of annoyance, blowing a strand of loose hair away from her face. "Sorry. It's been a long day. Just opened my business today. Just want to go home relax."

He gave her a smile. "No problem. We all have those days. Got anyone to call and pick you up?"

Another sign left her. "No. Just moved here a month ago and haven't made any friends yet. Makes times like this harder then necessary." Her hair kept falling from its place behind her ear. Annoyed, she placed it into a messy bun.

"Want a ride home? We work for a auto repair place here in town. I can have one of the guys bring the truck down and tow it in. Have it checked out tomorrow."

She gave him a questioning glance. Was he being for real? "Why would you do that for me? You just met me and I can guarantee that your shop is closed, as it is goin' on," She glanced at her watch. "8:23 P.M."

He laughed. "Just being neighborly Darlin'. Can't a man be nice without an ulterior motive? Anyways, it's no problem."

"Are you sure? I wouldn't want to put anyone out. I only live a mile or so away. It's not that far of a walk."