Prologue

Rebecca

Far, far, away somewhere on the outskirts of Manhattan, stood a neighborhood. It was a wholesome one.

It was a place where kids played in the streets without worries. Boys ran through the sprinklers and girls chalked hopscotch games. Mothers would shout out to their daughters to be careful of skinning their knee.

The moms themselves couldn't deal with cleaning another scrape with Merthiolate. They were too busy trying to set their hair which was wrapped in curlers. They had to look presentable for when when their husbands poured out of the late train and scurried home.

My husband and I were different from the others. Yes, our house was just as large as our neighbors. A white picket fence surrounded the colonial mansion of our dreams. Sprinklers were hidden in the lush green grass of our spacious lawn. Shutters framed the quaint windows that cascaded the face of our large house. A long driveway led up to our two-car garage.

And most of all, the walkway that connected our house to the cul-de-sac led to a front door that only welcomed love and warmth.

But there was on issue on the day we moved in. There we stood, his arm wrapped strongly around my shoulders. As we turned around to face the rest of the cul-de-sac, we got nothing but stares.

My husband and I were negro. And that was the spectacle of 1958.