Chapter 2 | Growing Suspicion

A/n: this is the continuation of the last chapter. I still don't know if this is going to turn into a full fanfic (I already have some ideas), or if I'm just going to turn this into a one-shots/prompts kind of story. It all depends on your feedback, so please tell me what you think! ❤

________________________________

"Did you get lost on your way back?" Alison joked, seemingly in a better mood than when Emily left her. She was sitting in the same spot as before, her disorientation from earlier faded.

The brunette looked at her with her mouth agape, her eyebrows in a slight frown. Her usually-warm chestnut eyes were in a state of distress.

"What's the matter, Em? Did you see a ghost?" Alison mocked lightly, unaware of the irony.

"Ali," Emily shook her head slightly as if she couldn't even fathom how to start the conversation.

Alison raised her eyebrow in suspicion, moving to stand in front of Emily.

"What, Emily? What is it?" she asked, her tone turning annoyed, the way it did when she wasn't getting the answers she craved.

The brunette's eyes lifted to Alison's baby blues and the blonde was taken back from the amount of emotion in them.

"Who is A?"

Alison's eyes widened, and she immediately crossed her arms over her chest in defense. She looked around her entire room, as though someone was going to jump at her right then and there, before turning back to Emily. "I don't know what you're talking about," she answered under her usual mask of indifference, hoping she had heard wrong.

"I've seen your text messages, Alison," Emily confronted, using the girl's full name to indicate that this wasn't a joke nor a hoax.

Alison huffed in frustration, took one look at her the open door of her bedroom, and suddenly grabbed Emily's hand rather roughly, pulling her out of the room. As she quickly pulled the brunette down the stairs with her, Emily asked in surprise, "Ali, where are we going?"

"It's not safe here."

Emily took the hint, following Alison out of the backdoor of her house. In silence, they bypassed the fence that separated the DiLaurentis' backyard from the woods behind their property. After a few more minutes of walking into the woods, they reached a clearing and Emily was both relieved and disappointed that Alison let go of her hand.

The blonde turned to her, a storm in her eyes, "How did you see my text messages, Emily?"

Instinctively, Emily couldn't help but turn shy under Alison's invading eyes. "I-I stole your phone when we were hugging earlier," she admitted quietly, biting her lip. These words caused Alison to run her hands through her pockets, only to come up empty, confirming that her phone was indeed, in Emily's possession. The blonde turned to Emily, looking simply enraged at her words and the swimmer felt a need to defend herself, "I-I only did it b-because I was worried about you, Ali! We all are! You've been jumping every time your phone beeped lately." She finished in a soft tone, "I just wanted to know why."

Alison disregarded half of Emily's words, scoffing, "I knew you're not as innocent as people think you are." She shook her head, "You had no right to do that, Emily!"

Emily gulped a little. She had never actually stood up to Alison about anything. It was usually Spencer who butted heads with the queen bee, maybe Aria too sometimes. But Emily and Hanna were the two out of the group who admired Alison the most, who never dared to raise their voices in her presence.