Chapter 4 | Tension

Alison was the one who detached their lips. The kiss only lasted a couple of seconds but it was enough proof for her that she was in big trouble.

She could not believe she had done that. All of the things she had been trying to hide around the brunette came rushing to the surface, and even if she pushed them down now, she knew she couldn't hold them under a lid for much longer. And the thing that had triggered it, the only thing it took to send the blonde reeling, was Ben Coogan screwing Emily over and finally showing his true colors.

The blonde backed away from Emily quickly and stood up, looking more distraught than ever. The way the brunette looked at her from the ground, like she was some sort of a goddess, was always a look Alison appreciated when she received, but this time around, it wasn't enough to make her stay. She grabbed her bag and made a move to leave, mumbling something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, I-I don't..."

Emily soon stood up to face her. The expression on her face consisted of pure awe and Alison could tell Emily really wanted any form of explanation, but all she could do was shake her head and turn to leave.

She had to get out of there.

A soft hand on her wrist stopped her. Emily came closer, whispering, "Please don't leave."

And Alison might've been a cold-hearted bitch who kept her walls up at all times, but even she knew it was wrong to leave Emily like this, an emotional wreck, especially after she had been the one to make a move on the brunette.

But her heart was beating loudly in her ears, and this day wasn't supposed to go like this, everything had gone wrong in a matter of seconds. She liked it when things were in order, she could make people do what she wanted, play around with them like dolls, but even so, apparently she couldn't control herself. And while thinking this, she felt herself transforming into the worst version of queen bee Alison, the version that she never wanted to be when she was around Emily. However, everything was happening so hastily, she just wanted to feel like she was in control of something.

Alison snatched her wrist away, threatening, "Stay away from me, Emily. I could so easily tell everyone that you've been having it out for me practically since we met." It was such an empty threat in her ears, since it was her who had kissed the brunette, but it was enough to get Emily to look away, embarrassed and devastated. "Let's just forget this ever happened," the blonde said in a rueful tone. With one more glance at Emily, who stared at her with big puppy eyes that were glossed over, she said, "Don't bring this up tomorrow."

Alison began walking away, her eyes starting to water any second now, and she needed an out. She kept telling herself this whole kissing ordeal was a huge mistake, but deep down, under all of the layers of crude behavior and vile insults, she knew that the only mistake she made, was leaving Emily out there.

*-----------------------------------------*

Emily looked even worse in the morning. A wink of sleep was more than she got all night. Her heart was shattered, but it wasn't broken, because even though the blonde had lashed out on her, Emily could never forget that it was Alison who kissed her, and every time she thought about it, her stomach would unwillingly fill with hyperactive butterflies.

Nonetheless, for the first time since she'd met the blonde, she didn't want to see her. Alison had threatened her yesterday, and Emily had to go back home with her tail tucked between her legs, feeling awful. It was the humiliating cherry on top of the already-sickening day, and she was extremely hurt by the blonde. More so, she was just so confused and she wished she had some time to figure it all out.