Marching out of time to my own beat

"Marching out of time to my own beat"

Billie, Adrienne, and I walked into the first boutique, and I was already captivated. I walked over to a rack, looking at the floor length dresses. I picked out an olive green dress, a royal purple, a midnight blue, and a blood red dress.

            I walked over to the dressing room and Billie and Adie sat down on a cream-colored couch while I tried on each dress. I tried on the olive green dress first; it had one strap that went over my right shoulder, a slit that went mid thigh, and was beautifully simple.

            I stepped out to show Billie and Adie, and Adie gushed over it.

            “It looks stunning!”

            “Oh I love it, but let me try on the other dresses.”

            I stepped back into the dressing room, and one by one, I tried on the dresses until I got to the red dress. It was blood red, strapless, and had slits on both sides of the dress. I stepped out in front of Billie and Adrienne, and both of them were speechless.

            “Hello? Anyone in there? Earth to mum and dad.” I waved my hands in front of me.

            “You look gorgeous, Chelsea.” Billie said.

            “Thanks, dad. I think this is the one.”

            “You look absolutely stunning, I think you should get it.”

            “Thanks, mum. Now just to get heels and accessories.” I roll my eyes.

            “Oh no, you’re not complaining missy. We’re going shopping. I swear you and Billie are too much alike.”

            “Mummmm.” I whined.

            “It won’t be that bad. Now go get changed so we can go.”

            I quickly changed and Billie bought the dress. Several hours later, I had the dress, the heels, and diamond drop earrings to match. Tonight would be a ball of fun. When we got home, I set my new dress clothes on my bed and sighed. It was 4 p.m., and we would leave to go to the restaurant at seven.

            I stripped down to my undergarments and made my way to my bathroom. I stared at my scars and realized I didn’t want to show them tonight. I grabbed my concealer and began to cover my scars; after I was done, it was as if I erased them from my body. I applied mascara and eyeliner and a nude lipstick. I carefully pinned up my curls into a delicate bun, leaving a curl down by my face.

            I peeled off my bra and slipped into my dress. I sighed heavily and carefully strapped on my heels. I carefully stood up, walked back into my bathroom, and put in my diamond drop earrings.

            “Oh mamma. Don’t I look beautiful?”

            “You are beautiful.”

            “Huh?”

            I spun around to see an empty room. I put the final changes on my makeup and left my room to walk downstairs. I slowly walked down the stairs, and found the whole family waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs.

            “Hey guys. Waiting for me?”

            “Uh, yeah. Let’s get going.” Billie said.

            We all climbed into Billie’s limo and were off to dinner.