Chapter 12 (Part 1)-Will

*Geek Boy*

Catherine and I were late for Friday night's game. As my fingers tapped impatiently on the car's dashboard, I bit back the temptation to blame Cath.

My eyes scoured the road, skimming hastily over the traffic that stood in my way. The street was jam-packed. It felt almost like a sign: I wasn't meant to be with Ellie.

My mind ran through what had happened at the start of the week. Ellie had asked me to come to the game. She had asked me to watch her cheer. She'd actually taken to time to speak to me.

And, according to the dashboard, I was late.

I'd gotten off early from my extra classes in order to make it here. I'd even asked to be excused for the day from my work at the orphanage.

All so I could see Ellie.

I might have been on time if it wasn't for Catherine taking extra long to get ready.

I sighed. "We're late."

Catherine glanced up from where she'd been staring at her phone. She made a face. "Why do you want to go to the game anyway? It's like a minefield for groupies and fakes. You've never really cared about it before."

It was also the place where I would see Ellie in her element. The place she'd invited me too.

It was special.

I shrugged.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Catherine raise an eyebrow.

 I sighed again as the cars in front of me crawled languidly forward. Internally, I prayed that I wouldn't miss the cheer. Because I couldn't. I just couldn't.

 Catherine frowned. "Can you stop tapping? It's really irritating."

I exhaled as I pressed my hand to the dashboard.

"So," Catherine said, glancing up from her phone. "Aren't you excited for the Mathematician's camp? It's only a couple months away." She laughed. "It would be a relief to get away from those stupid cheerleaders and jocks. Two weeks away from those barbie dolls will help regain our sanity."

I bit my lip. "They're not stupid."

Catherine shot me a sceptical glance.

In the resultant silence, I stared out at the road, huffing at the stillness of the crowded cars.

I leaned back into my chair, hoping I'd get there in time.

*

It was 8:30--halfway through the game--by the time we pulled up into the parking lot. Hastily, I turned off the engine and jumped out of the car.

My gaze was locked on the school stadium's external, the red metal coating (imprinted with the names of all our school teams) glinting beneath the dull yellow street lamps. The sound of screaming spilled out from the building as the announcer's voice spoke through the microphone:

"Presenting The Tiger Cheerleaders! Let's hear them roar boys and girls!"

I nearly sprinted into the stadium. Catherine grunted, calling after me as she attempted to catch up.

Ellie was the first thing I saw when I came in. My limbs froze, muscles locking into place within the shadow of the entry as my gaze fell on her.

She floated onto the field, golden ponytail swaying in the wind while her lean legs glided forward. The cheerleading uniform--consisting of a red and black top and miniskirt--went perfectly with her tanned skin, clinging to her flawless figure. She bit down on her glossed lips.