Chapter 2: The Reindeer Games

The Reindeer Games

In what seemed to be the blink of an eye, three months came and went with Christmas fast approaching.  While Santa and his elves were busy getting the toys ready for his flight, Rudolph and the other reindeer were preparing for an event of their own.  The day before Christmas Eve, once all the toys had been made and the sleigh readied for flight, the yearlings would be given the chance to prove they could be fliers the coming year.  It was a festive time, with excitement so thick in the air you could cut it with a knife.  While Ace and his group had been slacking off, gloating on how they would mop the floor with the competition, Rudolph had been training in secret, outside the Pole’s borders where no one could see him. 

In three short months, Rudolph had gone from a scrawny weakling to a strapping young buck with pride in his step.  In fact, he had changed so much, that when he walked into the waiting room for the Games, no one recognized him at first.

It was only Karen who saw him for who he truly was, and even then she wasn’t completely sure, “Rudolph?  Is that you?”

She walked up as the others glanced over with curiosity.  Rudolph smiled and then nodded, his stature one of pride where there used to be fear.

Ace scoffed as he walked up to the pair, “This big shot can’t be that peewee Rudolph.  He’s got way too much brawn and not enough brain.”

Ace may not have been training like Rudolph had, but he had still grown in the time Rudolph had been away, making them roughly equal in strength and size.

Rudolph smirked as Ace looked him up and down, “Why would you say that Ace?  Are you afraid a freak like me could actually beat you in the Games?”

The other bucks and does gasped at the overt challenge, though Ace was not impressed, “I see you still have that quick wit of yours, not that it will do you much good.  I’ll see you on the track, that is until you watch me beat your sorry behind like a drum.”

“We’ll see Ace, we’ll see.” Rudolph walked past Ace and smiled at Karen as he came up to her, “Ready to win this thing?”

She smiled and nodded, “You bet.”

With that all of the yearlings ran onto the track, the oval stands circling the field and filled to the brim with elves and older reindeer.  In his private box, with his wife by his side, sat Santa with a big smile crossing his face.

He stood and the crowd quieted so he could speak, “Every year we hold these Games to choose the up and coming fliers for my sleigh.  Each and every one of you has the potential to become a great flier, but you must prove that you have the heart and courage to uphold such a title.  Prove to me you are ready to fly, and you will be a part of my team come next year!  Without further ado, let the Games begin!”

The crowd went nuts as the referee elf stepped onto the track.  “The first event will be the sleigh race.  Each competitor will be strapped to a sleigh with a load of weights in the back.  The first three contestants to complete four laps will receive ten, five, and three points respectively.  At the end of the games the three reindeer with the most points will present themselves to Santa.  If they have proven themselves to be worthy of the title, Santa will bestow upon them the Medal of Honor.  They will henceforth be a part of Santa’s team, and will take turns with the current team until such a time that one of the current members must step down.  Upon that time they will become permanent members of the team until they too are ready to step down.  There will be no purposeful bumping or contact with other racers, and cheating will result in immediate disqualification from the Games.  There is no room on Santa’s team for ones not pure of heart.  Good luck to you all.”