This Friday Evening

Mr. Brooks had rode his bicycle, with Elaine standing on the back of the bicycle to the picnic area site. Once they got there, Elaine stepped off the bike and Mr. Brooks leaned the bike next to a nearby tree.  Mr. Brooks had told Elaine that he wanted to tell her something important and that he wanted to tell her it at this picnic site. Being curious as to what he wanted to tell her, Elaine said okay and came with him here. Elaine took out the picnic cloth and placed it neatly on the grass.  Mr. Brooks took out the picnic basket and placed it on the cloth, taking out its contents. While he was doing that, Elaine said that she was going to take pictures of different flowers that were not too far off so she could show her class this coming Monday. Mr. Brooks continued placing the plates, cups, food, wine bottle, and other contents as Elaine went to take the pictures.

       Knowing that Elaine would be back soon, Mr. Brooks thought of how he was going to tell her the news. So, he stood up and walked to where he saw some pretty flowers. It had rained earlier today so the area the flowers were in was muddy. Knowing that Elaine hated yellow, he gathered some red flowers and walked back to the picnic site. His shoes had gotten muddy from the dirt the flowers were in so there were muddy footprints when he walked back. He saw that Elaine had already returned and had opened the cork from the wine bottle and was drinking from a glass cup. Mr. Brooks sat on the bench and took off his muddy shoes and put them to the side. Then, he sat on the picnic cloth. Elaine looked at him and smiled when she saw the flowers. She then asked him what he wanted to tell her. Mr. Brooks cleared his throat, took off his glasses to put them down, and looked down as he clutched the flowers. He then told her that their relationship couldn’t continue, that he was secretly meeting this other woman without her knowing, and that he wanted to break up with her. A wave of shock came over Elaine’s face and the now empty glass fell from her hands and broke once it hit the ground. Mr. Brooks was still looking down. The shock soon turned to anger as Elaine picked up a piece of broken glass. Without his glasses Mr. Brooks couldn’t see well and couldn’t be prepared for when Elaine started attacking the back of his head with the piece of glass, causing blood to come out. Soon, Mr. Brooks went unconscious and fell over to his side while clutching those red flowers. Realizing what she had done, Elaine quickly got up and ran to where Mr. Brooks’s bicycle was. She got on the bicycle and rode to downtown Centerville to go home. Not wanting to seem too obvious that it was she who killed Mr. Brooks, she rode to an empty parking lot in Downtown Centerville and left the bicycle there. Then, she had walked the rest of the way home, forgetting about what she had done this Friday evening.