Chapter 2

I approach the corner of Hudson Road and Vex St. and see the familiar shade of brick red wood slowly rotting, cracks in the windows barely visible from this 40 foot distance. The mustard yellow mailbox becomes clearer to read, and even as I keep walking toward this hell-hole, I keep humming with a shaky smile.

40 feet later, I pause, turn my head, shed a tear, and the wood suddenly disappears. I shuffle my feet kicking some pebbles, keeping my head down and my hands in my pocket. And suddenly its cold. And suddenly the mailbox isn't there anymore. And suddenly more tears are coming down, each new one coming from my eye as soon as the last one hits the pavement. The remaining uncut glass lays on the freshly grown grass, surrounding the foundation of the house, like it is just being built. My humming gets shakier by the second, until my voice is unable, and I have to walk away. Today is the day. No mercy.

Its almost like "Nuketown." Green grass always cut, never a centimeter too long, white fences, you know, that stuff. Sure, there are the bad parts of town, but this isn't one of them. When I get home, dinner is ready and everyone is gathering around the table, my mom, dad, and Luke. I decide I'm not hungry and go upstairs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anorexic, but some days I just don't have an appetite.

I like being distant with my family, it makes me feel like I'm independent. When I go back down stairs to get a pen, I over here her talking about what happened to her in the morning. "I swear we need to get the window lock fixed. The wind blows them open and its always effecting the doors. I just can't stand the doors slamming closed!" She complains. I sigh. My mom has always thought this house was hunted. I don't even know.

My favorite place to go is the upstairs balcony, where nothing is dramatic, nothing is complicated, and no one is with me. I start drawing, pen poking my skin, gliding smoothly. In minutes the back of my wrist is covered in blue ink. Drawn is the house the appears in my dreams, and a beautiful little girl.

Looking out into the moon, I wonder why 5 years ago I became forgotten by my parents. I know they know I'm here. But why do they act like I did something bad? I have no reason to be treated this way. Im suddenly angry, then calm, and I know what to do to ease the pain.

I go back inside, look for my bag, and reach in for my pills. But I can't find them. I go to the kitchen to get water, tears brimming the lids of my eyes.

"Just stop" he says and tosses me a pill. He keeps the container with the rest of them and leaves.

"Cole" I whisper to myself.