C H A P T E R ONE

☼

This is not the beginning of my story nor the end

She thought bitterly as her eyes kept staring into the dark. Next to her someone let go of a breath the person was holding in.

Maybe it is the beginning

Her mind told her as her thoughts drifted back to the story that just ended. The old person she let behind to become someone she really wanted to be. Who she was meant to be. And that wasn't the brood mare of future drug lords. Or the cliche daughter of an gangster.

She was pretty that is a fact. And she was clever; she knew when to talk and when to shut up. A rare power. Her long hair made every boy fall to her knees begging for attention even if it was just a slight smile on the corner of her full, pink lips. They were pleased when she took their gifts home. She was athletic and tall suitable for every model show somewhere far away from the place she used to call home. But her face. That was like an angel fallen to earth. Maybe she was an angel that stubbled into hell. The hell of her own family. The hell of the world she was living in and trying to escape.

But if things wouldn't have been the way they were now she wouldn't sit in the darkness questioning her decisions and her existence.

The dark room was actually an hidden room in the inside of an ship traveling to Belfast. They sat under added wooden floors in the ship that carried fine goods from the faraway land. Including illegal immigrants. If you touch the floor somewhere you hope not to find human excrements or worse. Marina got used to hear people curse or pray silently. They prayed for their save arrival or the arrival anyway. Some died silently she knew that from the smell. But their captain was very kind. He brought them food and water when ever he could and even allowed Marina and a few other of the prettier young girls to come out when they were on the ocean far from coppers. The man started to learn the girl how to speak english a little and she really was talented. Just because she had learned it since she had been an child. But men liked it when they could act like they had to help her with the language. The words stayed in her mind like butter on a toast though; their slang and the different accents. They for sure tried to serve themselves on her young beautiful body but as they pulled her skirt up they saw the gun. Yet no one expected that the angel knew how to use it but they didn't wanted to test it either. But most of the time they sat in their room with the wooden tiling a little open. They closed it if they stopped in an harbor though.

Marina wasn't exactly happy about the conditions but she liked that it was all simple. Made her feel a alive and real. Not fancy and fake like her life was before. Her dress was even brown and made of rough fabric unlike the silk she used to wear. But she loved it. She was someone new. She could be anyone; everyone. Far from the life that was planned for her with an rich husband and two children and a dog. Not including the horses she loved so dearly.

She was talking to man named Alistair as they set in Liverpool just to have an little stop. But Marina was so into the talk that she almost forgot to get back into her hiding spot. Just almost as she heart new voices enter the ship. She ran down the stairs from the top to the bottom as the coppers already entered for an random control. As she moved the filing they already entered the room. The air was getting so thick in that moment. She tried to move the filing soundless and unnoticed. And she would've succeeded if not one of the fat man would've stepped onto the exact filing. Silent tears ran down her cheeks as she felt the cracking of her finger bones. She couldn't scream or even whimper. Just cry silently for herself just as one of the other women took her hand to support her and keep her from crying out loud. As the man left the spot she didn't bothered to move her hand again. She knew she couldn't keep it now. Or maybe she was being dramatic. After what felt like a million years she felt the filing being lifted. One of the man from the crew looked down at them.

"Liverpool, Bristol and Birmingham my dears" He said meaning that some of their travel companies arrived their destination. His eyes fell on Marinas hand his eyes getting first wide then soft. "We need to get you to an hospital dear" He jumped into the hole to push her out to the surface to keep her from painful struggling.

"Bruna" Marina called her soft voice breaking. Bruna was the only person that came from her city. Fleeing from her abusive husband with an fake death just how Marina almost did. She and a few other exited the hole either. They were all shy and scared. Now terrified of the things that could happen. The dark haired women walked out of the ship towards the city. Marina couldn't help herself but cry all the time. Not only because of the pain but also because of the idea of that whole thing she was absolutely stupid. But she bit back the tears as she remembered that it was all her own idea. Her own stupid idea.

"Hey pretty bird. Need a ride?" A man yelled suddenly at the group of women. Marina forced an smile on her lips as she walked towards the van. Bruna held her arm for a second asking her if it was a good idea with her eyes. She had no choice anyway she knew that. The girls hopped on the vehicle. The driver closed the tarpaulin of the van hiding them completely. Everyone except Marina looked terrified. She forced herself to smile.

This was my idea. I'm responsible for my own fate.

The latina thought bitterly as she started to stare into empty space. She knew if she would've been as brave as she was right now she would have an life now. A husband and children somewhere in north France with an white cottage not far from the beach with horses. But that wasn't her fate; she was meant for more.

———————————-
C A S T 1.0

Bruna  Marquezine
as
Marina Cortesa

Finn Cole
as
Michael Gray

Helen Mccrory
as Polly Gray

Javier Bardem
as
Carlos Cortesa

Álvaro Rico
as
Missio