1• Jinxed ✔️

"do not underestimate the allure of darkness, even the purest hearts are drawn to it"

happy reading, lovlies •

💫

Juniper Darlington

Everything is just as it is supposed to be on a bright Monday morning. Two hard core surgeries back to back. No mistakes. No casualties. No crying families blaming you for the death of their loved ones. It is a beautiful day to save more lives.

I discard my surgical cap and my gloves, and walk out of the OR, to the wife of Valentine Johnson. The five feet tall, brunette is worried to her bones. Her husband was getting a gastrectomy. I wonder what that feels like, falling in love. Marrying. Keeping someone's heart in your palms and giving yours to them.

"Dr. Darlington, my god. You are here early. Is Val alright?"

She asks tears lining her strained eyes. I smile. Bedside manners are important for doctors.

"The surgery was a success Riley. You can calm down, and get some sleep. You're husband is going to have some post-op procedures. Have a good day."

She hugs me. Okay, this is the part I hate. I am not a hugger. But every time I brush it off, telling myself that someone they loved just got out of death row, the least I can do is hug. I hug her back, and walk away, after she says thank you, several times.

I walk to my cabin. No surgeries scheduled. Is god taking sickness away from human kind? Although that would be excellent, I would be jobless. I should find a job like Prescott's. Cause hell, Gods do fight too. And the district attorney is necessary, if they fight here.

James Royal Prescott is my best friend. And my only family. He is not blood related, but over the years I've come to a conclusion that you do not need blood relation to make you family. He is a jackass, but he has to be one. He's a lawyer. But nonetheless, he is family.

"Hey, Prescott."

"I have told you a million times, since we were four darling, Darlington sounds uncanny. Marry me, change it to Prescott. It will sound sexy. Juniper Ava Prescott."

I chuckle.

"Ew. No. No. God, no. Then we'll have to have sex. And I've seen enough naked of you to barf. I don't wanna see the dirty parts, Prescott."

"Your loss, darling. Totally your loss."

I roll my eyes.

"You got assigned to a new case? You seem like you're reading something."

"I would have to arrest you if I told you, June. But, I'll come home on time. And, Michaela might be coming over."

I hate Michela.

"I hate her. Find another girlfriend, Prescott."

"Please, darling. Admit you are jealous she get all the attention and the little Prescott. And she will be gone. Besides she is just for sex, darling."