26 Hero

Ugh, this headache is about to kill me. Even in my sleep. Two weeks.it's been two weeks since i have known that Jo is somewhere near but i cant either touch her or see her. This girl by my side is snoring louder than of a some grandad. Ugh, why is she even lying on my sofa in a party-dress? I stand up to see her face so i could recognise her. Uhm, i dont know her but this is not Bet. Bet. She will come here any minute. I need to wake this girl up and make her leave. I shake her and she opens her eyes.

'You need to go, now,' i say gently. The girl gets up and leaves my apt without any sound left. And after her leave Bet runs inside.

'Hi, Hero,' she sings.

I groan.

'Bad morning?' she laughs and fills my fridge in.

'Dying from a headache.'

'Have you taken Advil?' she asks concerned.

'Yeah, like two pills.'

'you shouldnt have drunk so much,' she sings with a happy smile across her face. Her arms stretch for my shoulders and i feel her hands messaging them. Her touch is so disgusting. I feel nothing but a great urge to throw up. Being a gentleman i take her hands off my shoulders gently and purse my lips in a smile.

Suddenly i hear my cell vibrate. It's like a blessing. I look at the screen first. I dont have any hopes on caller.

'Hey, bro,' i hear Nick's happy voice.

'Ugh,' i groan.

'Haha, glad to hear you too. So what are you up to tonight?'

'Nothing?'

'Great. I'll be by your door by nine.'

He hangs out. I groan again.

'what is it?'Bet asks concerned.

'It's Nick,' i say with a sigh and stand up. I walk to the bathroom without further explanation. This girl needs no explanations she asks too many questions. Hot water doesnt help my hangover but relaxes a bit. I put on clothes afterwards as fast as possible and then grab my keys and inform Bet that i'll be in the studio. We are not dating. She is just spending her days with me. Sometimes she spends nights with me but we dont date and she sleeps on the sofa.

**

Nick is waiting for me outside, not by my door. Bet has just left for her friend and now i am free. Sometimes i avoid her on purpose. She annoys me.

'So where are you taking me?' i ask Nick as we drive along the busy center where people are walking, laughing ,running and screaming. It's a night and night life is ready to live its life. Nick tells me about his day and job. He is still a dj and he likes this thing but he wants more.not like a fame thing but like a more serious job. He is thinking about taking a job at school as a teacher. I dont imagine him in front of the blackboard telling stuff.

'Dont worry. We'll just drink beer,' Nick says with a laugh.

'I guess i have drunk too much this week,' i say moodily.

'Haha, relax, just beer.'

It's the end of the week so you can see lots of people in the bar. We go to the small bar near a night-club. We decide to drop by there later if beer is good but i still have a hangover so i guess i'll drink and go home.

'Thanks,' we both say and take a sip.

'I've seen Jo recently,' says Nick and these words make my stomach twist. I feel a knott which i wont be able to untie for a long time. My mood is even worse now.

'Yeah? And how is she?' i ask casually killing almost the half of my bottle. I guess we can drop by the club tonight. I need someone for tonight.

'She has a new boyfriend.'

I choke.

'Who is he?'

'Dunno, mate. But he is older than us. Looks like a bodyguard.'

'You dont know for sure, maybe he is her bodyguard,' i chuckle.

'i dont think so,  she would not hug him then.'

Now this beer doesnt seem so good to me. I wanna walk away from here. Leave this bar and leave this city. I need to run away from her as fast as possible.

'I'm sorry, mate,' says Nick as he notices my mood switch.

'That's okay, man, let's just find some company.'

The girls at the corner of the bar we mess with arent perfect but they are our best options. Another option is to call Bet and ask her come but the thought of her makes me wanna vomit.

'Sorry,' i say and run towards the restroom. My stomache is hurting when i have to let my dinner out. I still have thi disgusting feeling when i leave the booth. I look at myself in the mirror. Tired and drunk. That's how i look this week. I miss her. I miss her ev n more than the first time she left me. No girl can take her place. I rinse my face and leave the restroom. When i spot Nick with those girls i have a huge urge to come back and maybe free my stomache for good but i stop myself. I dont walk to them. Instead i have i a strange idea and my brain tells me that i'm gonna be lucky. Jeff got me Josephine's new number and dealt it with a great feeling of being 100% lucky.

But when she picked it up my mood faded.

'Jo, hi. I wanna talk to you,' i begin like a thirteen-years-old boy but the voice answered me wasnt Jo's.

'I'm sorry but Jo cant answer the phone right now,' answered a very familiar male voice. In the background i could hear her laugh. She was laughing... At me? Or was he making her laugh?

'But i can tell her to call you back? What's your name?' asks the man.

'I'm no one. Just no one,' i spit and hang out. Shit, she does have a new man. And she is happy with him.

I go back inside but i dont do what i am supposed to do,like have fun. No, i come up to Nick and ask for his keys. His brows raised but he gives me the keys. I grab them and run to his car. It's not that comfy as mine. It doesnt sing to my touch when i start the engine. I dont care about speed limits and maybe people i will kill tonight. I drive as fast as possible as far as possible.

But somehow the car stops right in front of the building where Jo works. I go off and sit on the bench. I am sitting there and just thinking why i havent tried to get her back. It was so easy then. I know she was hurt but i wasnt happy either. I tried to move on in a way just to show her how much i love her but she moved on and forgot me. She doesnt love me anymore. I think she havent ever. She used me and i liked it the way she made me love her.

I finish my second cig and realise that i am sitting on a becnh in the crowded street, sad. I get on my feet and my eyes meet hers.

'Jo?' i gasp. She looks so beautiful with her curly hair. She doesnt need anything to look perfect but when she tries to impress with her looks she compares to no one.

'Hero?' she echoes me and for a split of a second i am sure she was glad to see me too. But it was only a split because then i saw the intruder, the one who ruined our happiness.

'Who is he,Jo?' asks the man next to her. He is a bit shorter than me but he is broarder and more masculine.

'No one, just my old friend,' she squeaks and i see how hard those words were to swallow.

'Good, then we can continue walking. We will be late,' he says and pushes her forward, further from me. I would stop him and punch his face in other case but Jo has made her choice so maybe this is what she wants, a man who guides her and protect. I cant guide her, nor protect. I can only hurt her.

I watch them go and disappear in the crowd. Tears roll down my cheeks. I dont love her, i dont love her! I keep repeating to myself. But it is a lie. I still do. And i will always love her.