Prologue

It starts here, right now. Now comes the time where I make my final decision. Should I take the chance, risk everything, or should I ignore the opportunity and regret it later; to think that all this would never be possible if I had just stayed at home, a few months ago, like I was supposed to.

"Sarah, don't be ridiculous. You're sick, you can barely stand, just stay at home. I can do the presentation on my own." Seth pleaded, wasting his breath. He should have known that if I made a promise, I never intended on ever breaking it.

"Seth, let me ask you a question. How long have you and I been friends?" I asked, but left no room for him to answer, "About sixteen years now, right?"

"Yeah, but you-"

"You've been with me since the earliest memories of my childhood, went through gross preteen years and all of our weird phases we went through together. You're the brother that I never knew I needed. I'm disappointed in you for-"

"Wha- disappointed in me? That's impossible. I don't even- what have I done wrong? I'm perfect, how could I even do anything wrong?"

"I'd appreciate it, if you'd actually listen to what I say. I'm already sick as it is." I sighed. "What was I even saying? ... it doesn't matter now the point is that I'm coming, and you're just gonna have to deal with it."

"Fine, Sarah, fine. You're impossible at times."

"Love you, too. I'll bring you a hot chocolate. Bye!"

After that call it was a trip to the nearest Starbucks. That's where I met him. A green-eyed, annoying fool. Carter Hastings.

He bumped into me spilling his hot coffee on my cream coloured shirt, which stung my cold skin (the stain never came out of the cute shirt), and he had the audacity to react like he did, blaming me for the collision.

It was from that moment on I swore that I would always hate him. Fate had a funny way to deal with my hatred because it seemed that wherever I went he would be there too.

Looking back at it, I was lucky. If it weren't for him a stupid decision I made, would've costed me, my life.

He was there, to save me from myself.

***

I stood on top of the city bridge, near the university in the dead of the night, above the river.

Everything was set.

The note I wrote, placed neatly on top of my folded clothes.

My parents were out of town for the week. Their date night was long overdue always put off because of this or that. Thay are getting a break away from everything (even their only child)  meaning there would be no calls to my phone to say I was out past my curfew.

Seth was with Lacey, celebrating their six-month anniversary. After much struggle and heaps of trouble the pair finally put aside all their differences and decided to work things out. The celebration goes for both their anniversary and, in a sense, for a new beginning.

Jade, my neighbour since high school, was at his girlfriend's house looking after their daughter while Rose worked the night shift at the ER.

Everything was set and nothing could stop me. Everything was accounted for.

"Sarah?" A voice called out.

Everything was accounted for except that.

"Sarah-Belle, is that you?"

The familiar voice registered in my brain. The voice of a green-eyed boy that seemed to show up everywhere.

Carter.

My thoughts froze, and the next thing in my memory was of being surrounded by an icy coldness.

Realisation of what I have done hit me when a burning sensation erupted in my lungs. A voice in my head screaming at me begging me to allow it to be allowed a breathe of air.

I jumped.

Struggling, I tried to reach for the top of the river. Air. I needed air.

In the midst of my struggle I heard a faint slash. Millions of tiny bubbles clouded my vision.

Something encircled my waist, pulling me upward. As I reached the top, I took a deep breathe of air, granting my lungs access to the air it begged my for, starting a round of uncontrollable coughs.

Carter pulled me out of the river. He saved me.

This is where our story starts.

~¤~

(Posted on: 30 August 2019)

Not edited.

Note: Sebastian's name has changed to Carter, so if the name Sebastian is anywhere it's supposed to be Carter. Twank you for reading :)

~♡♡♡