5th COMMANDMENT

→ THOU SHALL NOT KILL.(Exodus 20:13)

This is the one of the law given to Moses at Mount Sinai , where God calls us to preserve one of the most precious gift that he has given us, that is life.

We must know that  the life that is in us is not ours  but it's the life-giving breath of God which he had breathed into our nostrils. Ref.(Genesis2:7) We do not  ourselves but to God. We owe him, we are indebted to our God.

God's plan is to give every human being a chance at real life—eternal life as His sons and daughters in His Kingdom. Jesus Christ said, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). He desires for everyone to repent and have salvation—eternal life (1 Timothy 2:4; 2 Peter 3:9). This physical life is a training ground for that future life.

God values life highly. He tells us to choose life: “I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live” (Deuteronomy 30:19).

God showed the value of human life by requiring capital punishment for the murder of another person (Exodus 21:12, 14). Accidental killing, of course, was treated differently (Exodus 21:13; Numbers 35:11).

Jesus Christ expounded on the fifth Commandment to emphasize its spiritual intent. He told us not to become angry without a cause or to allow anger to cause us to do violence or even abuse another person verbally:

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ [“meaning empty head,” The Nelson Study Bible note] shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire” (Matthew 5:21-22).

Hate is murder

The Bible shows that hate is the attitude of murder. The apostle John wrote: “Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him” (1 John 3:15).

The Bible also shows the dangers of our words and that we can murder with our tongues (Proverbs 18:21). “Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison” (James 3:5-8).

We must replace hate—the attitude of murder—with love, shown by action: “We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. … But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth” (1 John 3:14, 17-18).

We must not even hate our enemy instead Jesus tells us that we ought to Love our enemies as we love ourself.