Chapter 1 - Robin

10 years later

Have you ever looked at your life and thought... 'Man! I should be happy with everything going on in my life right now.' And you still find yourself unsatisfied? Me too. I have a great job where I'm not judged by my weaknesses and most people focus on my strengths. I know that this is very rare to find these days, but I can't help but feel unsatisfied.

What I really want to do is travel. I want to be able to visit all of the amazing places that I have read about and seen in my head. And sure, I could travel, there's nothing physically stopping me from going out and seeing the world. But there's a part of me that's scared.

When I was a little girl, I was in a car crash and lost my hearing. The doctors tried all kinds of different treatments to restore more of my hearing, but nothing seemed to work. They don't understand why I can't hear at all, I should have some of my hearing, as the doctors were able to to keep one of my eardrums from being severely damaged. And at the of the day, I still can't hear very much. They've run all the tests, and my mom would get me into all of these different experimental treatments just to try to get some results, but nothing would work. I wouldn't be any better than I was before, and I was just more discouraged.

My mom tells me that it's not my fault. She has been so supportive, she has always been there for me. And I love her for it! But I don't think she really gets it. I feel as though this is somehow my fault and that if I was to try just a little harder, perhaps I would be able to hear, just like the doctors said.

So, I haven't told anyone this, but I think maybe I'm getting a little better. Every so often, I think I can hear someone, sometimes it's just an indistinct whisper or a muffled crash... But it's there! I know it is. That annoying little voice in the back of my head tells me that it's just all in my head and leftover memories from before.

But I can't lose hope. I CAN'T. Without my hope, I am not strong. Without my strength, I cannot face the world.