Chapter Four: The Sauna Test

The next day you were at work with Steve and Robin as usual, while Dustin was out spying on the Russians once again.

As you scooped ice cream all you could think about was what happened last night. No, not that you were almost killed by Russians, but how you naturally grabbed onto Steve's hand.

Was he just being nice? Or did he reach for your hand too?

You kept on replaying the moment in your mind to see if you could catch anything. Like when your hands met, and why they stayed together until you broke them apart. No matter how many times you thought about it, you couldn't figure it out. It was like everything happened so fast that all you could picture was a big blur of rain and colors.

Although there was a blur, the most distinctive part of the memory was feeling your hand holding Steve's.

"(y/n). Dustin's back." Robin says through the window to you. You nod and go to give the customers their ice cream. "Have a good day." You say to them as they walk off with their ice cream. You quickly walk into the back and sit at the table with Robin and Steve.

Dustin found that the only way to get into the room that the Russians are keeping their boxes in is with a keycard.

"That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun. Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it." Dustin says as he paces.

Steve plays with his hat and you smile at how cute he is. "But there's gotta be a way in." Robin points out. Steve fixes his hat and tosses it on the table. "Well, you know I could just take him out." Steve declares matter of factly. "Take who out?" Robin asks, while you jokingly say, "On a date?"

Steve looks at you, and answers your question. "Haha very funny." And then he looks at Robin. "The Russian guard." Robins eyes go wide with sarcasm and she nods slowly at his response. "What? I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his keycard. It's easy." Steve adds.

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin questions. "Yes, Dustin, I did." Steve rebuked. "And that's why I would be sneaking."

"Ah. Well, please, tell me this, and be honest, have you ever actually won a fight?" Dustin asks, inching towards Steve with his arms crossed.

"Okay, that was one time-"

"Twice." You say, cutting him off. "Jonathan. Year prior? I was actually there so you can't deny it."

"Listen, that doesn't count." Steve replies to you and Dustin. "Why wouldn't it? Because it looks like he beat the shit out of you. Billy even beat the shit out of you and (y/n) was there helping you- and even though she lost too- she still put up a good fight!"

"Thanks but, uh, don't remind me of that fight." You say rubbing your hands over your face. Robin looks at you, astonished. "You fought Billy Hargrove?"

"Kinda. Single handedly one of the scariest moments of my entire life." You reply. "Aren't evil Russians scarier?" Steve asks you, and before you can respond Dustin goes, "Okay, we were getting off topic but then Steve brought us back to evil Russians- so thanks for that Steve."

"Anyway, exactly what you just said, evil Russians are worse than Billy Hargrove and Jonathan Byers. You got a fat lip, crooked nose..." Dustin started and Steve began arguing over what injuries Steve got when you noticed Robin had zoned out.

All of a sudden she says, "That just might work." Then she gets up and goes to the front. You and Steve go over to the window to see what was up with her- as she grabs a handful of the tips that were meant to be split between the three of you.