Chapter 4

"So Mapleshade is your mate from Thunderclan who was exiled? Give me a reason I shouldn't chase her off Riverclan territory." Darkstar clearly wanted answers.

Appledusk felt his stomach flip. If Darkstar were to chase Mapleshade away, he would be at the receiving end of Mapleshade's wrath. "She and her kits can hunt and swim, Mapleshade knows all of Thunderclan's tactics which might help us in battle, and Larchkit, Petalkit, and Patchkit will become strong warriors one day."

Darkstar looked pleased with the second reason. He clearly wanted an advantage if a fight with Thunderclan. "She and her kits can stay, as long as they can prove useful for the clan."

Appledusk let out a sigh of relief. Mapleshade wasn't becoming evil anytime soon.

"You are dismissed, Appledusk. Go help Mapleshade and the kits in the nursery." Darkstar mewed, clearly scheming something in his head.

Appledusk went to the nursery. "How are the kits?" he asked Mapleshade.

"Fine. I'm the only queen in here and Reedshine threatened me and said something about you loving her more."

Appledusk was fuming. How dare that fish-brain threaten his mate? He never loved her. They were just friends. " I never loved Reedshine. That fish-brained fox-heart is lying to you." he scowled.

"Why is papa angry?" Petalkit asked curiously.

"Come one Petalkit, let's play moss ball!"Petalkit's brothers called.

As Appledusk stepped out of the nursery, he came face to face to Reedshine.

"What do you want?" he snarled, "don't threaten Mapleshade or my kits! I don't and I have never loved you!"

Reedshine curled her lips in disgust. "Mapleshade and your precious kits will suffer!"

Just then, Perchpaw walked up.

"Will you teach more about fighting in the water? You haven't taught me all of it yet. I want to become a warrior as soon as possible."

Reedshine is lucky that Perchpaw interrupted or else her throat could have been clawed out.

After training, Appledusk headed back to camp only to see a horrible scene.

Reedshine was attacking Mapleshade.