Chapter 6

"I, Darkstar, leader of Riverclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in their turn.

Larchpaw, Petalpaw, Patchpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your lives?"

"We do."

Then by the powers of Starclan, I give you your warrior names. Larchpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Larchleap. StarClan honors your strength, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Riverclan.

Petalpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Petallight. StarClan honors your courage, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Riverclan.

Patchpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Patchfur. StarClan honors your energy, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Riverclan.

After 9 moons since Mapleshade joined Riverclan, the clan was flourishing. Mapleshade and her kits proved to be great additions to the clan. All was well until the day Appledusk feared came.

"Cats of Riverclan!"Darkstar summoned all the cats.

"Thunderclan has taken over Sunning Rocks. We must attack them. Mapleshade, Milkfur, Splashfoot, Eeltail, Rainfall, Perchfoot, Appledusk, Streampaw, Pebblepaw, Larchleap, Petallight, and Patchfur are coming. We will attack. Mapleshade, now is your time to prove yourself. Tell us all of Thunderclan's battling moves. We will be victorious and Sunning Rocks will be ours."

Mapleshade trained all of Riverclan Thunderclans battling tactics. In less than half a moon, the clan was ready for battle. "Cats of Riverclan, we will be attacking Thunderclan and taking back Sunning Rocks today!" With a flick of her tail, Darkstar led her cats across the river.

Mapleshade went out onto Sunning Rocks first as bait.

"A patrol is coming. Get ready." At the same moment, a Thunderclan patrol emerged from the bushes. The patrol consisted of Frecklewish, Beetail, Bloomheart, Seedpelt, and Nettlebreeze.

"You!" snarled Frecklewish, "get off our territory. We can kill you right now!"

Mapleshade looked unfazed.

"Riverclan, attack!" All of the Riverclan warriors rushed from the river and dived towards the Thunderclan warriors.

In the heat of the battle, it looked like Mapleshade and Frecklewish were fighting.

"So you need a clan to take care of you? Should have thought about that before you betrayed Thunderclan." Frecklewish taunted.

"I don't need Thunderclan. Riverclan is much better. Too bad you die today."

Then, Mapleshade lunged at Frecklewish. She bold her over and delivered the killing bite.

"Thunderclan, retreat! We need back-up to defeat Riverclan!" Beetail, the deputy, ordered the patrol. The Thunderclan cats fleed into the undergrowth.

"What do we do about her?" suddenly, Appledusk focused his gaze on Frecklewish's dead body.

"Who cares? That arrogant fish-brain thought she couldn't defeat Riverclan. Throw her into the river." Mapleshade clearly didn't care if Thunderclan gave her a proper burial at all.

"We'll just leave her here. She can be eaten by the hawks and be turned into crow-food for all I care." Darkstar retorted, "is anyone hurt?" 

Appledusk looked around. Splashfoot, Eeltail, and Milkfur seemed to have small scratches, but nothing much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few moons after the battle, Mapleshade came up to Appledusk.

"I'm expecting another litter of your kits!"