seven

Zola

It's been three months. Today we are going to find out the genders of the babies, but it doesn't really matter to me.

Sofia has been good to stick with me through this. It's setting me back, having kids at this point, but my mom was still a resident when she adopted me.

I sit in the stupid squishy chair while Sofia squirts on the gel. Tuck holds my hand. We're getting married in July.

"There's baby A... And there's Baby B. You want to know the genders today, correct." Sofia says.

I nod.

"Well, Baby A is a boy, and Baby B is a girl." Sofia smiles. "You've got your hands full."

"Oh, believe me, It'll get worse." I smile. I vaguely remember all the times of babysitting Ellis because she was so young.

I smile at tuck, and he takes my hand.
...

I stop my mother at the nurses station. "We found the gender out today." I say, hand in the nurse my patient chart.

She smiles. "Do tell!"

"Well, Baby A is a boy, and Baby B is a girl."

"Wait. Baby B? And Baby A?" Her smile turns into a grin. "You're having Twins!?"

She wraps me into a hug. For the first time in a long time, I feel happy.

...

I meet Tuck in the attendings lounge. "Ready to go home, babe?" He asks. He wraps his arms around my waist and I fall into his arms.

"I'm so tired." I mumble. We walk to his car.