CHAPTER 2

I awoke to the mouth watering smells of crispy bacon goodness infusing the air. It was so tempting that it made my stomach growl. I quickly brushed my teeth and showered, tripping over myself as I tried to get dressed and run down the stairs at the same time. And let me tell you, don't try that unless you want to fall head first into a wall.

"Well look at you Miss Hurt Yourself To Get Breakfast," Damon smirked at me, sliding bacon and eggs onto my plate. The toaster when off so he got us both a slice of toast and spreaded jam on them then handed one to me.

"Thanks!" I hungrily grabbed the toast from his hand which caused him to chuckle deeply.

"You're a hungry one! If you were a fish, you'd be a big fish because you'd bully the smaller fish for their food!" he bulged his eyes out and made a fish face.

I thumped the back of his head saying,"Hey! Are you calling me fat?"

"Oh look at the time! I have to go to work now sweetie. I love you!!" He scurried around to find his keys which was super funny because they were in his hand. When finally realized that they were in his hand, he ran upstairs, grabbed his suit jacket and came back down. He gave me a kiss on the check and went to work. Damon's job is complicated to explain. He's a professional coder, but others would say he's an illegal computer hacker. Titles, titles. In high school I called him a baby nerd because you know, he liked things like coding and all that fun stuff. I didn't have work that day so I just cleaned and fixed the house. I was a lawyer and own my own company, BastisCo Corporations, so I just gave myself the day off.

Later that day when Damon came home, we both came to the realization that it was six o'clock and we both had time to kill so we had a date night. We stopped by the store and got some picnic necessities and headed towards the beach shore. It was a chilly evening so we brought our blankets so we could snuggle together under the stars on the beach. We bumped into our old high school friend, Rachel Claire, in the parking lot of a Seven Eleven, drinking a treinta vanilla bean frappuccino. She wanted to be a dancer in high school, but she soon realized that that wasn't for her, so now she is a very successful therapist. She loves getting in people's minds.

"Ayeee, what's up dawgs?" Rachel acts like she has swag. There are two sides to Rachel: the professional side, and the side that if you give her too much sugar she will go nuts. She throws up peace signs while grabbing her pants.

"Oh lord, Rachel, did you have too much sugar? Did someone spike your Starbucks with espresso?" Damon questioned while he shook his head.

Rachel gave an innocent smile and said, "Hehe nooooooo, I just like sugar." Damon and I both shook our heads and brought Rachel along with us to the beach. "Hey! I'm third wheeling again! No fair!" Rachel whined; she stomped her feet. We all laughed and continued to the beach.

After what seemed like forever, we finally. It was a beautiful beach night, and having Damon and Rachel there made it even better. I wish I could have stayed in that moment forever, but of course, everything good must come to an end.

I heard the sound of a bullet zip past my head. I was in such utter shock that I just froze, I sat there as if time had finally decided to stop working. It was mad chaos unraveling before my eyes. Innocent standbys got shot in slow motion, a bullet grazed Damon's cheek and he started bleeding all over his crisp white shirt. It was such a horrific sight to see. I didn't know if I should cry or sit there or help everyone I saw get hurt, but it was for some reason I didn't know what to do. Where the shooter was, I didn't know. As I was sitting in this room, I still cannot put a name and a face to the person who injured my loved ones and spilled innocent blood. I will seek revenge for those who could not do anything to protect themselves. Children, teenagers, young adults and the elderly, all shot.

I estimated about one hundred people have lost their lives in this public shooting. But the one thing I remembered about the shooter is that he chewed fruity gum that smelled like green apples. Green apples. I will remember that smell forever and I will figure out who it was.