CHAPTER III

Digging Up The Past

Surprisingly, I woke up early today, all thanks to my trusty alarm clock. I had enough time to finish my routines before going to the site.

"Damien!" I heard Robert scream my name as soon as I stepped in the site. Looks like they already started.

"So how's it going?" I inquired.

"So far, we've found old bricks and stones. We think it belongs to the infamous fallen kingdom of Avalon" he replied.

"Avalon" I repeated. I've never heard of the said place before. Woah, that's unusual.

"You know, the kingdom that was attacked by the kingdom of Aztlán 15 years ago, legend has it that the prince wanted to marry the princess of Avalon but her father didn't approve. The princess' father knew that the prince only wanted the wealth of their kingdom because Aztlán was slowly losing itself, it's people and their economy was dying, and the only thing that could save it was the marriage, the connection of their families- but clearly, it didn't happen"

"Well were there any more families connected to the kingdom?" I asked, there could actually be more to this than I thought.

"There were a lot of families connected to the king, business-related, old friends or distant relatives. But, there was one family that striked me the most. The Villafuerte's were the most powerful and wealthy family. They had gone to every event hosted by the king. And, rumor has it that the princess and the Villafuerte's son were penpals, but no one really knew where the letters were hidden. It was an affair between the Cassanova's and Villafuerte's. Funny, actually you have the same surname." Robert chuckled.

"Coincidence, maybe." I thought, "Let's get back to work". This place had its own Romeo & Juliet too, like any other. Too bad, Romeo can only watch from afar as he saw how the kingdom, with the love of his life, completely destroyed.

"Boss, look!" Our co worker exclaimed.

We took a closer look and we saw, artifacts, picture frames, some wood and the rest were glass. Shattered glass.

"Is that all that's left?" Robert raised a question.

"I think so boss, the other workers didn't find any and they've been digging so deep now."

I sighed. The only thing that could help us trace what happened here years ago was photos and other wooden materials. How are we going to find them? How?

I asked the team to stop the excavation and call it a day. Robert also had to supervise and make the report so I was left there, together with the driver that would drive me back to the hotel to pack up.

I dusted off all artifacts and picture frames and sealed them carefully to avoid breaking. I also disposed the pieces of glass to avoid cuts. I was about to go when something caught my attention.
There was still something in there, I felt it. It was hollow, more like a wooden box.
I checked my surroundings, if anyone was there then started digging. I had a feeling about this. I knew I had to see it.

After a few minutes of digging deeper, i finally found it. It was a wooden box with gold laurel leaves designed on the sides. It was sealed with a lock with the initials C.C. But as I dusted it off, there was a logo underneath. And as I examined it closely, it was the logo of Athens, it was in a silver, embedded form.

"Damn. What is this?" I thought as I stared at it and started to drown deep into my thoughts.

BEEP!

The sudden car horn stopped my reverie. The driver came to ask if I was ready to go since it was getting dark. So I quickly placed the box in my bag and made sure the area was secured before getting in the van.

As I came home I hurriedly sat on my chair and placed the box on my desk.
The box made a low creak as I slowly opened it.
And then I found it. I found my missing piece.

Where my heart used to lie. A piece to complete the puzzle.

Authors note:
Is he finally going to find out?
this is a longgg chapter

lovelots,
mousseketeers♡