Chapter 1

Allyson's PoV

I sighed as I heard Ms.May screaming at another child. I put my earphones in to drown out the sound and laid in my bed. My phone vibrated and I looked down. It was Kaye, my best friend.

"Did you have to call me? You couldn't have just texted?!" I said grumpily into my phone. She giggled and murmured sorry. "What do you want anyways?" I asked curiously.

"Well...can you meet me at Starbucks?" She asked.

"Ya. Be there in 20." With that we hung up. I got dressed in denim shorts and a light blue tank top. I slipped my converse high tops on and put my hair in a high ponytail. I put a smudge of makeup on. I didn't really need it, I'm only 17 and Ms.May said it would be a waste of money. I slipped out the front door trying not to get caught. Ms.May was very strict, we couldn't go in the front yard without permission, imagine how much trouble I'd get in if she caught me leaving the orphanage.

I ran to Starbucks, it's not that far, if I was walking I would've gotten there in 10 minutes. But since I was running it took me 6 minutes. I ordered my drink and Kaye's, both a Double Chocolate chip frappuccino. By the time Kaye arrived I had already gotten the drinks.

"Double chocolate chip frappuccino, ice cold, extra coffee, just how you like it." I announced. She laughed and I joined in.

"I have exciting news!" Kaye squealed. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"My mom's pregnant!" She said with such enthusiasm that I smiled with her. Kaye had wanted a sibling her whole life. I was happy for her.

"That's a 12 year difference Kaye...I don't know how well of a relationship you'll have with your younger brother or sister. I'm not trying to be mean, but you need to be prepared," I said seriously. I didn't want to ruin this happy moment for her, but I don't want her to get her hopes too high either.

"I know. I already thought of that. It breaks my heart to think that would be the case, so I just looked at the bright side! We most likely will have a good relationship!" Kaye reasoned.

I sighed. This is the difference between us. I've had such a hard past, and that made me a 'Glass half empty' person, looking to the bad side. And she's a 'Glass half full' person, always happy and looking at the bright side. Whenever Kaye has a bad thought she ignores it and moves to the bright side. But I know better, I prepare myself for the worse, not the best.

"Kaye, it's time to go," Mrs. Smith walked in and told Kaye.

"Congratulations!" I smiled at her.

"Aw thanks," she hugged me, "would you like a ride?" She asked. I nodded and thanked her.

I got in the bright blue convertible Lexus. I felt the wind smack my face and felt it run through my hair. It danced through my shirt and then we came to a stop. I saw the orphanage a few houses away. We were here. I was back to this prison. I almost begged Mrs. Smith to keep driving, to let my feel the wind through my hair, let me feel free, let me fly.

"Thanks Mrs. Smith. I really appreciate it!" I hopped out of the car, waved, then sprinted to the orphanage. I froze when I heard Ms.May yelling my name. I slowly went inside, knowing there was no way I could escape this. I ran as fast as I could to my room and put my earphones.

"I saw you young lady. Where were you?" She asked. Wow. She wasn't yelling. That could only mean one thing, visitors.

"Starbucks..." I stumbled. She gave me the look that said, I'll deal with you later just get your ass downstairs.

I slowly walked down the stairs, dreading what was to happen after this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors note

So whenever I put ~~~~ it means beginning or ending the chapter.

I know this is short but I felt like this was the perfect place to stop. But what do you guys think so far?

-Maddie :)