Past to Present

Rubbing the back of his neck, Mina watched a second man walk away from him. He'd lead them on, then backed out at the last second. What are you waiting for? Del is out of the picture, and even if he was still in it, he's much more dangerous than a random guy  at a bar. He told himself as he bumped his forehead against the bar he sat at twice before groaning. 

"It sounds like you could use some alcohol, brother."

Mina's eyes jerked open and he sat back so quickly that Roan had to grab the front of his shirt to keep him from having a nasty fall. He had not expected to see his brother at all!    

"How did you know where I was?" He asked, already feeling the need for fresh air. 

It wasn't that he hated his brother. The guy was sweet and really did care for him, but his entire family in general just felt suffocating. He'd left as soon as he could, and even before that he'd run away more times than he could count just to be entirely alone. 

"The vet who checked up on you was an old friend. They recognized your name and gave me a call because I'd been worried about you." He said, then quickly raised his hands. "Please don't be mad. They meant well and didn't know that I'd come out here to try and find you." 

Mina would have been more angry at the vet, and at his brother, if his head didn't feel like it was overheating. Hell, his whole body was too warm, and now that his brother was sitting beside him, he couldn't stand being in the stuffy bar any longer. Tossing a couple dollars on the bar for the one soda he'd been sipping, Mina hopped off his bar stool and hurried to the door. He knew that his brother would follow him, but he didn't want him to. 

As soon as the crisp night air hit his face he gave a stressed sigh and turned to head down the street in no specific direction. He just wanted to get away from it all. 

"Mina, please wait." Roan called from behind him. He could easily catch up if he tried, but he knew that it would just make him start running. And if it was one thing Mina could do, it was run. 

That's all I've ever done. 

Clenching his jaw, he picked up his pace and immediately heard Roan's steps hurry to match his own. He was just about to start running when he noticed a familiar silhouette far up ahead.    

Oh, come on. 

Stopping abruptly, he took a deep breath, then sighed it out as Roan stopped next to him, but a little behind. It was something he'd learned to do over the years they had lived together. He knew that Mina didn't want him around, but the guy was persistent and had picked up little habits to try and make himself more bearable. 

"Mina?" Roan asked at the same time the figure a good ways ahead of them stopped. 

Go away. Just turn around and go away, please. 

Of course, Del didn't even hesitate as he started forward again, his pace doubling as Mina felt his eyes on him. He immediately began backing up, drawing a frown from his brother as he looked back and forth between the two of them. 

"What's wrong? Is he a bad guy?" He asked. 

You have no idea. 

Without thinking, Mina swung around and grabbed his brother's hand as he began running. Thankfully, Roan caught on and hurried to keep up, his larger hand holding tightly onto Mina's as they rounded a corner, then sprinter toward the forest. 

Mina could hear Del's footsteps behind them, but it was obvious that he was having to work hard to keep up with them. They were just crossing a slightly overgrown lot that was up for sale when his perspective dropped abruptly and he rolled in a bundle of clothing and fur. The tall damp grass stopped his movement quickly, but by the time he was able to fight his way out of his clothing, Del was closing in, his eyes shining brightly in the darkness.