chapitre six

White and grey marbled floors stretched around the extent of the castle, held up by carved pillars. Towards the Northwest quadrant held the sleeping quarters and various areas for extracurricular activities. His bedroom being on the third floor, a large window overlooked into a garden. Instead of the usual walls, the walls and ceiling surrounding the garden were removed to allow air to freely move through the area. The garden was made up of only the most beautiful greenery- a rock garden here, a small man-made waterfall there. Dozens of rare and exotic flowers, bushes, and vines laid out with great attention to detail. It resembled a small, exquisite fairytale of sorts.

The royal Princess Chloe critically scanned over the landscape. Slowly stepping down the shining marbled steps leading into the garden, she took a stride around the pathway.

With great dramatization, she turned on her heel and threw herself onto a nearby birchwood bench. "Oh, how beautiful! It must have cost your poor family a fortune to pay for all of this! Tell me, who made this garden, Mutt?"

A smug grin formed on Nathaniel's face as he strode into the garden. "Actually, I did."

She froze with an short inhale, her face tensing up. Chloe let out an exaggerated huff, crossing her arms. "Well, I've seen better."

The Prince only rolled his eyes. He naturally gravitated towards the man-made waterfall, sitting in front of it with his legs crossed. Closing his teal eyes, Nathaniel listened to the sounds of water tricking down the rocky edges and into the pond. Memories of his happier days came gracefully into his mind, starting with the day he realize he had fallen for Marc.

A delicate hand knocked on Nathaniel' mahogany doors thrice. A muffled voice yelled from inside, which Marc assumed meant to give it a second. The scribe backed away from the door, giving it the necessary space to open up. Within a short few seconds, one of the double doors slung open heavily, the Prince standing on the other side of them. He was wearing what looked like old clothes, a few droplets and streaks of paint stained his fair skin.

Marc blinked in silence, momentarily forgetting that he was the one who sought Nathaniel out. After a second, the redhead tiled his head with concern. "Marc?"

With that, the slightly taller boy jumped and started rummaging through his satchel. Holding his breath, he hoped the restrained blood flow would help hide the redness of his cheeks. "Uh..." Marc found the few letters after what seemed like an eternity and held them out to Nathaniel. "These came in for you."

Nathaniel smiled at him and took the envelopes from his hands with a nod. "Thank you. Would you come in for a second? I've got some things to send out."

"Uh," Marc mumbled, looking at the sun's position. It looked to be around 4 in the afternoon. He had time. "Of course."

He followed Prince Nathaniel into his living quarters, momentarily flashing back to their first encounter. His face flushed at his embarrassing actions as he wondered why he went about the situation in that awkward way.

The Prince moved to his desk facing a large window, beckoning for Marc to follow him. Without a word, Marc drifted towards Nathaniel, waiting a few feet behind him. Nathaniel was shuffling through his desk drawers, looking for each letter. After about a minute of silence, he pulled out three letters and closed the drawer, turning around. He scribbled the addresses and names onto separate envelopes, handing them over to Marc.

Looking down at the envelopes, Marc realized that Nathaniel's handwriting was more like chicken-scratch than the normal cursive writing he saw with the higher-ups. It made him smile a bit.