Chapter 11 - Max

A quick hour after getting home, I had sped through most of my homework

A quick hour after getting home, I had sped through most of my homework. Now all I had to do was make it out of the house so I could check up on the radio receiver.

I needed to get a lead of some sort. Something to let me know how much time I had before they came.

And then I had to make sure the fight would be far from home. I couldn't put Zora or any of the kids at risk.

I grabbed my duffel bag and replaced the gym equipment with transmitters, notebooks, whatever I could use and need for the rest of the night.

I threw the bag over my shoulder and went down the steps to the living room.

"Where are you going?" Zora asked me from the dining table. A couple of the kids were with her, working on homework.

"Just to the gym and maybe to meet some friends."

"Shouldn't you take Jack?"

I paused for a moment, running through excuses, "If I go to meet friends I'll come back and pick him up, but I'll be alone at the gym."

She thought for a second before nodding hesitantly, "Sure, I guess."

I grinned and waved her and the kids goodbye before bolting out the door.

✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒

I pulled the keys out of the car and stepped out.

I was in a trailer park.

The same trailer park where I stayed during the mission. Most of my large servers I had to leave here but I came back occasionally.

The last time I came here was to hear about the bombings.

I wonder what I would learn this time around.

I sighed, grabbing my duffel bag and a couple of other things out of the trunk.

This would be a long night and I could only hope Zora wouldn't get suspicious about me being late.

I headed into the trailer I brought with me for the mission that left me stranded here two years ago.

It looked the same as always.

Barren with only a few necessities.

Stone cold - just like I had been.

Finding Zora and becoming a part of a family gave me more than a purpose.

It gave me happiness.

That was something I didn't want to risk jeopardizing, but I had to.

The intel they were looking for, the intel that I had found, would hurt people - a lot of people.

I couldn't risk letting anyone I knew become caught in a crossfire because of a decision I made years ago.

It wasn't fair to them.