To Him is The Return

"He was an admission from the emergency department, a young man who had been unwell recently. An otherwise normal hardworking man who had a fiancé, a good job and everything to look forward to. I walked into his room with my boss. I was a junior doctor at the time and somehow had not faced such a situation before. My boss got down by the patients bedside and held his hand. I am afraid it's not good news, the scan shows you have cancer and that it has spread. The mans fiancé screamed. That scream was unforgiving. I can almost hear it now. His mum started crying and at the same time trying to comfort her son. The man's cancer was a rare aggressive form and had eaten away at his inside. The look of horror and terror covered his face. The family was looking at me as if I could save the situation, as if doctors were superhuman. The doctor in control tried to reassure the family but what can you tell a mom who is about to lose her son or a woman who is about to lose the man she loves? I really created a bond with that family in the short time they stayed before the man passed away. If medicine has taught me one thing it is that it is so important to be grateful for all you have and to remember that we are all but travelers on this short journey called life. Allah gives life to what he pleases and takes life when he wants."