Chapter One

The ground connected with my side hard, small rocks digging into my ribcage. I grunted in pain and aggravation, wildly scrambling out of the way of four large hooves that were intent on showing me just how angry the wild horse was. White noise dulled the shouts of riders, the yells of the crowd, and the vicious thuds of hooves. I hauled myself off the packed dirt wincing at the throbbing in my ribs and sprinted to the gate, jumping up and throwing myself over the edge. 

I looked back to see the big bay roan mare still rampaging in the arena. The riders were trying to herd her back towards the exit gate whilst simultaneously taking the flank strap off. "And that puts Miss Rylee London in jeopardy for the next round folks. A great attempt from London on the mare Devil's Thorns." I glared at the announcer's booth and roughly began to undo my helmet. 

I yanked it off, ignoring the snickers of the surrounding cowboys and riders. I stormed towards the back of the arena, angrily yanking off my vest. My spurs clicked quietly with the ground as I stomped towards my best friend. "Don't take it too hard, Rylee. You could still be in the next round." She tried to console me, as she tightened the heart girth on her newest addition, a sleek sorrel named Price's Bright Star that she simply called Star partially from her registered name and part because of the elegant white star on her head. 

Star was the only foal to be fathered by Price before he was gelded. And now she is the only remnant Gracie had of her beloved Price. It had been almost 2 years now since the accident in the arena that took his and almost Gracie's lives. 

I ignored her and plopped into a lawn chair by the trailer. I threw my vest to the ground and dropped my helmet into my lap. "I should have done better. That stupid bronc had no rhythm what so ever, just insane bunny hops here and there! I couldn't even get situated before she was taking off again! How am I meant to stay on something like that, Gracie?" I complained throwing my hands in the air. 

Gracie pulled herself up into her saddle and sat looking down at me with thoughtful brown eyes. "You have to learn to just take it as it is and do what you can. Don't be so hard on yourself." She advised. I sighed and slumped in the chair. "I guess you're right," I muttered. She laughed and spun her horse around, heading to the practice barrels sent up in the field beside the arena. "I'm always right!" She exclaimed over her shoulder. 

I mocked her as she rode away and rolled my eyes. 

A soft neigh came from beside me and I glanced over at my gorgeous mare. She was Star's trailer companion and her stable companion and just her companion in general. Her white and blonde face was swung towards me, big blue eyes watching expectantly. "Hey, Gunsmoke." I greeted quietly. I stood and made my way to her, patting her neck with love. 

She had no tack on, just her halter and lead rope that tied her to the trailer. She was an oddity among the sale horses that day that I had purchased her. Many people wanted her strictly for a broodmare to give foals color. Gunsmoke, or better known as Golden Gunsmoke Girl, was a buckskin paint. Her mane and tail were a pretty mixture of deep browns, blacks, and whites. She had a bald face, making her gorgeous blue eyes pop. 

She was a beautiful oddity and she was my oddity. 

She pressed her velvety nose into my face and I giggled, stroking her softly. My hands moved smoothly across her head and then again over her neck, and then came to a halt at her belly that was ever-growing. 

"Not much longer and baby Gunsmoke is gonna make an appearance," I whispered. I could see Gunsmoke's ear flick towards me, showing she had heard. I sighed and rested my forehead on her wither. Gunsmoke was my barrel racing horse, but a mishap at the barn had led to her becoming pregnant. Gracie's stud had gotten out into the mare's pasture, but thankfully only Gunsmoke had been in heat at that time or we would have had an even bigger problem on our hands.