In The Streets

Ayanna....

     "Hey Ci Ci!" I cooed at my six month old baby. She smiled and flailed her arms all around. She really is a joy to have around. I smiled at her happily and she continued to kick and flail around. It would be awesome if she had a father that sticked around.

    August and I were together for four years and we were in love. We both probably still are. I stared lovingly at our prom picture. He's my first love and will always be. Ci Ci smiled at me with so much joy. She doesn't need a father, she has me.

    I smiled sadly and hushed her to sleep. She looked me in the eyes and slowly twirled her tiny bit chubby hands in my hair until she was asleep. She's my pride and joy. I put her on my bed and sighed. Living in the hood isn't easy but its what you grew up in and what you can afford.

      I didn't want my child growing up in such a dangerous environment. I'm going to make it my mission to get an apartment in the Heights where I can afford it and be safe. I kissed Ci Ci's forehead and walked off to the kitchen.

    I've been hungry since yesterday morning but my child is more important so I usually just buy everything for her and I don't worry much about myself. I turned on the TV and waited for a show to come on. What came on shocked me and hurt me badly.

    I see August walking with one of my favorite rappers, Lil Wayne. My eyes went wide as they explained the story.

"Seems like the young singer August Alsina has finally found fame. He's been singing for a while now and finally got a record deal from Def Jam."

    My mouth flew open in surprise. I couldn't believe it. He finally made it. After Mel died he started working hard toward becoming a singer and he made it. I felt so many emotions. I felt proud, and happy, and hurt. I had so many reasons why too. I quickly turned off the TV realizing how much information about him to that I couldn't take in.

      Memories of him and I filled my head. I couldn't handle it and I cried. I see how it is. I gave it a few minutes before turning the TV back on. Surprisingly, they were still talking about him and I heard he was coning back to the hood to collect His things. Now I was beyond hurt.

Life really hated me. First it sent me a baby that ruined all chances of getting into my dream college, Hunter. Not that I regret her because I don't. Then I have to take of her all by myself with barely any money to hold the both of us. But we do what we have to do to survive in the streets huh?