Prologue

Hey, I'm Kayla Matthews and I'm 17 years old and live in Manhattan. This is my story.

I was less than a month old when I was abandoned. Abandoned on the side of a book store in downtown Manhattan. Ironically, that bookstore is where I spent most of my childhood -and adulthood seeing as I work there part-time. Waiting. Waiting for someone to come and say 'I'm looking for Kayla Matthews. She's my daughter.' Don't get me wrong, I love my family (the ones that adopted me). I'm grateful that they took me in and treated me like one of their own. But, I have so many questions that no one knows the answer too. Like: why was I abandoned? Was there something wrong with me? If I meet them then I can finally know the answers to my questions. After that I can go back to pretending like they don't exist. The only thing that I have from them is an antique silver necklace that has a tiny, blue-tinted glass bottle as a pendant which has a scroll encased within it. The scroll says 'Wait.' in beautiful calligraphy.

What am I supposed to be waiting for? I've waited for 16 long years. How is that not long enough? 16 years of sleepless night wondering about my biological family. 16 years of questioning my self-worth. If 16 years worth of tears and emotional turmoil not enough. What is?

—————————————————————
A/N: Hey! I hope you like the first chapter!