two

The girls hear Lucas close the bathroom door and lock it.
"He's fucking insane," Max said, still furious.
She punched her fists against the wooden door, hoping Lucas would open it by any chance.
"There's nothing more horrible than this," Eleven whispers, as if Max wouldn't hear her. But she did anyway, since they're in the same room. Together. Max and El, together in a room. Who would've ever expected that?
"Yeah, but he also could've handcuffed us. Like I said, he's insane," Max replied.
The brunette laughs a little.
Fuck. I didn't mean to laugh at something stupid Max said, El thought.
God, why did I laugh.
And then there's silence. A long, painful, awkward silence. Very awkward.
"Mike is crazy as well, though," El said to ruin the silence.
"I know he is," Max said back. She remembered him hating her for wanting to join the party. She just wanted to make friends.
"There once was a time Hop yelled at him and Mike just started yelling back at him. He screamed that Hopper was a piece of shit." El told Max. The redhead laughed a little.
"Talking about Hop, he's crazy, too," El continued. "He wants me to stop seeing Mike everyday,"
"Wait, he wants to separate you?"
"Sep-arate?"
Max laughed at the small brunette. "It means he wants you to break up with Mike or just simply leave him or stop seeing him for good."
"Oh," El said, still not really understanding what Max meant.
"You and Lucas are boyfriend and girlfriend too, right?" El questioned.
"Yeah. Well, kind of," Max replied.
"What do you mean 'kind of'?"
"It's complicated between me and Lucas,"
The freckled girl smiled a little at the brunette.
"How about you and Mike? How do you feel about him?" Max asked.
"Good," El knew to reply. She actually didn't really know how she felt about her raven-haired boyfriend.
"Do you... love him?" The Zoomer questioned.
"How do I know if I love him?" The Mage brung out.
"You just... know. When you spend a lot of time with someone and have fun times with them, you can find out if you love them. For some people it's easy to find love, but not for all." Max explained. She secretly wished she herself had someone to love.
"Oh," El said a little insecure.
"What's something you like about Mike?"
"I... I like his freckles, and I like his soft hair... and he's gentle with me."
"Well, that's nice,"
El nodded. Yeah. It was, in fact, nice.
-
{ a/n }
hello my dudes! i hope you enjoyed this chapter even tho it was super boring. i'm in a huge byler and elmax depression rn so that's fun