Chapter 9

I stood in a stunned silence, and he made no attempt to move towards me. The space between us was magnetic, and the air seemed to hum, as if we were close to combustion. 

"Beatrice" he said, his voice soft like velvet, with a tenderness in his eyes which was usually hidden. It was only one word, my name, said with his sweet, melodic voice, that caused me to ignite. 

I catapulted into his arms, with as much velocity as a charging bull. He did not lose balance as I launched, wrapping my arms around his neck and whispering, "You're here"

His arms folded around me, holding me tightly against him. His hands ran down my back, he nuzzled me softly, sighing into my hair. "Beatrice" he murmured again. 

"You're really here" I choked, tears falling down my cheeks and a smile spreading across my face. He drew back, studying me carefully. He wiped away my tears with his thumb, running his hands across my face, as if trying to memorise every plane. "I'm here, love" he said. 

I barelled into him again, and he pulled back, before his lips found mine with a feverish hunger. I gasped, and my lips parted in surprise but he kissed me harder. Drawing the breath from my lungs and tugging my bottom lip with his fangs. I moaned, and his hands, now on my hips, clenched tighter, fisting around the thin material of my night gown and clutching me closer. 

My fingers wound into his dark, ebony locks and the other hand clawed his back, the same hunger that consumed him setting me alight with longing. "Beatrice"

"Felix" I growled, as he pushed me back into a wall, pinning me there as his free hand ran up and down my thigh, I was surprised he hadn't ripped the lace from my flesh. 

Fearful that the situation would esculate further than either of us wanted, I gently brought my hands to his chest and pushed. The small action was enough, and suddenly he was serious again, though desire still burned in his eyes. "We don't have much time" he told me gravely. 

"Why? Felix what's going on?" I asked. 

He sighed, running a hand through his hair, "it's a long story"

"Summerise" I said flatly. 

"I am now King, as you are probably aware" he told me. His eyes faded  from red to emerald again, and I slowly began to regain my composure. "Yes" I said, not mentioning i'd only found out that night. "I have heard a lot about you" he noted, "particularly about your mother"

I hissed, "what?"

"Your mother has not been making your..absence, a secret, in fact their is a high price on your head" he told me. 

"The damn council" I cursed. 

"What do they have to do with this?" he said. 

I shook my head, "It's a long story"

"Summerise" he said, making me laugh. 

"That's my line!" I laughed, and he shrugged. His eyes darted to the clock, which ticked steadily in the corner of the room. It was five past twelve. Quickly, he reached into his coat pocket and handed me a small box, wrapped in a bow. "Sorry it's late" he said. 

I smiled softly, my eyes widening in surprise. "You got me a birthday present?" 

He nodded, and for the first time since i'd met him he looked...embarrassed. 

I undid the ribbon and opened the small bow. Inside was a small ring, it was white gold, and laced with tiny diamonds. "It's an enchanted ring" he explained, "I have one that is similair, put it on, and should you choose to, we can link minds, it means we can still speak, even if we are seperated by land and sea"