Chapter 3

Emma

After Arthur leaves to do his own thing, Maggie and I walk through woods along a long dirt road to the living area. When all the cabins come into view, they look a lot smaller than anticipated. Arthur said the cabins will hold about fifteen people, these look like they'll hold no more than three, and that's without out a bathroom. It could be that I just heard him wrong or that he said it wrong, but I'm almost positive that more than three people can't fit into the one room cabins before me.

It's not only the size that I dislike about these dull cabins, it's also the appearance. The cabin walls are made of stacked logs that are dark brown. The door, which is also made of wood, is a faded green color that makes it look like it hasn't been painted in 20 years.

Despite my uncertainty about the cabin, I open the creaky door and walk in. Within the first look at the inside of this now grand structure, I am speechless. The cabin/mansion is huge. The open floor plan has white tile with grey tints lining the ground underneath my feet. To the left, the tile leads to the gas fireplace which has slightly tanner tile than the floor. There's a white mantle over the fireplace with a small golden dragon statue on top. Across from the fireplace, there are two leather chairs and a big black and white striped carpet beneath them. Farther down, behind the fireplace, there's a fancy kitchen with black granite and white modern cabinets. To the right, there's a big staircase that is wide on the bottom, but gets narrow towards the top . The railing for the staircase goes up to the top and across a loft area that oversees the bottom floor. Beyond the railing, I can tell there's an empty space with many doors I suppose are leading to the bedrooms.

"Pretty amazing, ain't it?" A girl asks. She's sitting on one of the leather chairs in front of me, next to another girl in the other chair. Both girls are about my age and wearing only a sports bra and shorts. I find this wildly inappropriate to show this to my little brother, who happens to be nine years old. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, What is he doing here?" the first girl asks when she spots Maggie. Both girls then try to cover up their body as much as they can with their arms. "The boy cabins are across the street. That's where he'll be staying." She explains in somewhat rude but understandable tone.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, we didn't know there's a rule on how boy's can't be in the cabin as girls. Well now that I hear it out loud, I wonder why I didn't think about it." I say and turn towards Maggie, "How about you go find a boy cabin across the street." I suggest. Maggie nods and heads out the door. I'm sad to see Maggie leave, but I know he'll be alright.

"Now that we have things in order, I'll need some information. What's your name and how old are you? Oh, and I'm Ella by the way," the first girl says. I notice that she has a clipboard and a pencil, ready to write down whatever I tell her.

"My name is Emma Rose and I'm thirteen years old." I reveal.

"Great, you'll be in room eight. To open the door, you just wave your hand over the knob, and push it open. The door only opens to the person it belongs to, so no one can get into your room, unless you let them. Almost 95% of the time the door opens to the people we assign it to. In other words, don't worry, the door will open." Ella says, "Is there anything I left out, Skyler?" She asks the girl next to her.

"Did you tell her about the meals?" Skyler suggests.

"Of course, how could I forget? Breakfast we eat here at 7:30 in the kitchen and lunch and dinner, we eat in the grand hall, which is just next to all the cabins. After breakfast, you go to wizard school at 8:00 and that's on the other side of the grand hall. School is about six hours, and after that, is lunch. The rest of the day you can do whatever you want until dinner. Easy enough?" finishes Ella. Once I nod, she turns to talk to Skyler like nothing happened. Ignoring her rudeness, I walk up the grand staircase, placing my hand on the iron railing. The upstairs is like a living room. In the middle of the room, it has a 60" flat screen TV, a U-shaped couch, and a round, glass coffee table between them. The walls are covered in plain white doors, seven on the left, seven on the right, and one in the middle. of the back wall. Because my room number is number 8, I have the room in the very back.