Chapter 5

Emma

I wake up at 7:00 when Chloe slaps me across the face. “Wake up sleepy head, we have to get ready,” Although I feel like one thousand, I use my arms to lift myself halfway out of bed.  Under my golden covers, I scan the room and see that every of the fourteen purple sleeping bags have been tucked back into the owner’s room. Only Chloe has decided to stick around. She moves her head over mine and makes a funny face, trying to wake me up more, but I yawn quietly, still too exhausted to get up. Chloe stands up straight and steps away from my bed removing the brown hair from my face, as it’s starting to bother me. "I am going to go, but don't forget to be downstairs at 7:30, Ok" Chloe verifies.

I slam my back against my bed, "Ok." Chloe turns and shuts the door, leaving me to think clearly. My first day at magic school, I think, Wowww. While staring at the majestic cloth above my bed, I wonder how the other students are going to treat me. Like a awkward freak, or the popular girl that everyone likes. Either way, nothing is going to be as dreadful as it was during my years in San Diego.

I finally get out of bed at 7:20 and retrieve the uniform clothes that have been stuffed under my bed after Chloe helped me change into my pajamas last night, or maybe really early this morning. I have to put on my clothes manually which is a bit aggravating considering that waving a wand is much more effortless. I clean up my room a bit, not wanting it to be a total mess when I get back at 2:30. While making my bed, I flip my pillow so the words are facing down. To my surprise, there are more, different  words on the back that I haven’t noticed until now. To the one and only God of Magic, there is an evil in this world that you can’t escape. As a dark sorceress ponders the land, it is in search of you, the only person who can destroy it. You must not be frightened, for the time everything seems that it can’t get worse, is the time you will have to rise up and conquer whatever stands in your way. If there is a single doubt in the corner of your mind, everything you love will be gone. There’s no escaping your fate, but do not worry, magic believes in you. After I am done reading, a wave of angst comes over me. What does it mean? Is it really true? What if I lose everything?

Chloe walks through my door and I scramble to flip my pillow over again, to the side I've already revealed. “Hey there, Emma. Is everything alright?” Chloe wonders.

I stand up straight and push down the wrinkles in my plaid skirt. “Everything’s great,” I say with an unconvincing smile,”I suppose you came to get me?”

“Yeah, I was just-” her eyes quickly search the room for anything suspicious. “I just came to tell you that breakfast is ready, we made pancakes.” The aroma of pancakes lingers through the open door and to my nose. I sniff in the smell of pancake dough, chocolate chips, and syrup. Following the scent and stopping the conversation, I drag Chloe by the arm to the kitchen, where all the other girls sit.

“Hey Emma, glad you made it to your first breakfast. Some people miss it and have to go to school with an empty stomach.” Ella explains and shifts her eyes to Scarlett, who sits across from her. Scarlett giggles and looks down at her plate while trying to cover her face.

“Well, I think I’d still be asleep if it weren't for Chloe, but no time for celebration, I’m hungry.” I sit down on a fancy stool at the huge island. In front of me is a stack of three chocolate chip pancakes and a big bottle of the finest maple syrup, or at least that’s what it says on the cover. Famished, I am finished eating within five minutes. I tranquilly wait for the others to eat their last bites before asking them any questions. “What supplies do you need for school?”

“All you need is a wand,” Hazel replies. She reaches into her back pocket and pulls out her brown wand. “They’re all the same except that your name is engraved into the side, so you don’t accidentally steal someone else’s”