2. The Locked Door

Liz entered their condo kicking off her black pumps.

"On God, I hate my job!" She sighed, leaning against the wall next to the door.

"Hard day at work?" Alex asked, sitting on the black couch with his laptop on the coffee table.

"The worst day ever. How was your live class?"

"Great, actually. It was a big turnout, the biggest I've had. Just finished."

"That's great," Liz chirped, walking to the kitchen.

She took out a bottle of chilled white wine and poured her a big glass. "Want some?"

"Nah, I'm still on the clock."

"Whatcha gotta do next?" She asked sitting on the recliner chair pulling her knees up, taking a sip of her wine.

"Q&A in 10 minutes."

"Need me to leave the room?"

"No, just be quiet."

For forty-five minutes Liz watched Alex answer all his viewers questions with so much intellect and knowledge. Watching him was so soothing and spiritually energizing. He had this aura of confidence around him every time he works. She couldn't take her eyes off him.

When he was done she gave him a standing ovation.

"Girl, stop." He laughed.

"You are so inspiring friend,'' she crossed over to hug him.

"Is that the wine talking, sis?"

"No. I always loved what you do, I just couldn't do it. Any moment you could go broke, clients could stop coming in. I'll be a nervous wreck every day."

"Sweetie," he placed his hand on her thigh, "I don't do this for the money, I do it because I feel drawn to it. I believe it's my purpose, you know?"

"Well, shit, I can't argue with that."

"Oh good y'all here," they turned their heads to see Meg walk into the door.

"What got you so wide eyed?"

Meg sat her purse down by the door, then walked over to the couch, taking a seat next to Alex.

"So I ran into Mr. Hottie on the way up and I told him about you," she said to Liz.

Liz's eyes widen. "Whyyy?"

"I told you I was gonna hook you up, didn't I? So anyway I told him about you and he said he saw you in the hall yesterday when we were bringing the boxes up and he thought you were cute. He wanted to talk to you but said it looked like you were miles away. Why aren't you excited?"

Liz was gnawing on her full bottom lip. "I don't know, Meg."

"Girl, come on he's fine as fuck. Why not?"

"I-"

"Ooh, you're scared." she leaned over, placing her hand on Liz's thigh. "Listen, don't feel pressured, if you don't feel the urge to jump his bones don't do it."

Alex gave Meg a bewildered expression. She looked at him and shrugged.

"Just go talk to him and maybe agree to a date."

Liz sighed, "we'll see."

"Wow," Alex mumbled getting up from in between the women. "Y'all wanna order takeout for dinner or does anybody care to cook?" He asked, heading to the kitchen.

"Not I." Said Liz.

"Hell no. I had an exhausting day in the OR today. Take out sounds like heaven. Nothing too fancy, yo." Meg said stretching out on the couch kicking her shoes off.