286 : Casting the Bow Aside Once All the Birds Are Gone

Return of the Swallow

 Chapter 286: Casting the Bow Aside Once All the Birds Are Gone

If it’d been anyone else delivering such brazen insults and threats, Lian Shengjie would’ve long since exploded into a fit of fury. But when facing Pang Xiao, his temper didn’t dare rear its head at all.

He could only tamp down a bellyful of dissatisfaction and jealousy to respond stiffly, “As opposed to wasting time arguing with me, Your Highness would make better use of time by packing carefully and preparing to return home. His Majesty means that since the Valiant Tigers have tremendous battle strength, they should remain temporarily stationed here in case any trouble flares anew in the Yan capital. Your Highness has always preferred a minimalist style, so I’m sure you won’t fail His Majesty’s good intentions.”

Lian Shengjie was back to grinning mockingly at this point.

How much were your deeds of valor worth now, Pang Zhixi? The emperor can decide where you should go with a single command, and even take away your life!

Leaving the Valiant Tigers at the Yan capital meant that Pang Xiao couldn’t head back with his direct subordinates. He would be completely helpless if the Great Zhou emperor wanted to make any moves against him.

With this development, Lian Shengjie felt all of his bottled up anger disperse. Pang Zhixi could only tyrannically throw his weight around outside. He still had to tuck his tail in and be as meek like a cat when facing the emperor.

Though Pang Xiao knew that his emperor was highly wary of him, he hadn’t thought that the emperor would be so blatant as to cast aside the bow as soon as all the birds were gone.

They’d only just conquered Great Yan!

It looked like the emperor’s wariness of the prince had reached new heights, in which he didn’t care about his own reputation. He just wanted to keep Pang Xiao down.

It was nauseating to look at Lian Shengjie’s smug face. But this was only to be expected. The emperor himself was showing that he was threatened by Pang Xiao, so how was it possible that this attitude wouldn’t be reflected by any of his subjects?

At the end of the day, this was all thanks to his good brother.

Pang Xiao rose and flicked the dust off his outer robes.

The dashing flair of his movements made Lian Shengjie’s heart skip a beat. He frantically took a few steps backwards, his heart pounding, deathly afraid that Pang Xiao would just outright murder him.

If the prince did, the emperor probably wouldn’t do anything to Pang Xiao for it.

Pang Xiao snorted derisively to see Lian Shengjie cower with dread. It’d only dirty his hands if he really did kill this milksop, and it’d give rise to future troubles.

He brushed past the nuisance when his thoughts took this course.

Lian Shengjie heaved a long sigh of relief after Pang Xiao’s figure vanished from the door. He sat down to continuously wipe away sweat. That demon was finally leaving! He would be scared into a heart attack sooner or later if Pang Xiao remained at the army camp!