303-304

How to read advance chapters on volare

Return of the Swallow

Chapter 303: Taking Away By Force (I)

Longing from an extended period of separation and reunion after trial and tribulation quickly gathered tears in Qin Yining's eyes.

When she'd been chased by assassins and huddled in a one-person shelter, attempting to find cover from the snow and wind, without any food or water, she'd once prayed in the deepest part of her heart that Pang Xiao would appear.

When she learned that Pang Xiao had still opted to search for her, even running the risk of insubordination, emotion had broken through the barricades of her heart. Sadly, the young lovers had been caught by circumstance and the prince had had to rush back to the capital before he could see her.

Sentimentality had slowly morphed into yearning. As she played the part of Pang Xiao on the way back, she would often stare at herself in the mirror. A bizarre sense of wrongness jarred her with the reflection of the prince's face, but there was also a bit of comfort from the sight.

Now that they'd finally met, her taut heartstrings could finally relax. The tough obstinance she showed outsiders vanished, leaving behind only overflowing grievance-like a child lost for many days finally finding her way home.

The ardent look in Pang Xiao's eyes echoed her feelings.

She took one involuntary step forward, but the prince remained where he was, unmoving, and even stiffly turned his head aside to not look at her.

She froze in place, cold water instantly dumped over the raging emotions in her heart.

There was a split second worth of hurt.

But her thoughts moved quickly. She was in the capital of Great Zhou now, and Pang Xiao in difficult straits. She was also the daughter of a surrendered official, and caution was indeed required when it came to their words and deeds. Qin Yining ducked her head and didn't look at the prince anymore.

At this time, Qi Rugang and the others had finished arranging for military camps outside the city walls, and normal passage had been restored through the gates. The rescued Great Yan officials were welcomed by officials from the Ministry of Personnel and Rites and whisked off to the guest inns.

Someone approached Qin Yining. "Miss Qin, please head to the guest inns with us."

The Qin fourth miss nodded silently and followed the speaker.

The guest inns were where Great Zhou welcomed honored visitors. The emperor's arrangement was highly ceremonious for the families of surrendered officials.

These folk had starved and thirsted in the Yan Dynasty, spending day-to-day on tenterhooks and then running into extreme danger on the road. Uneasiness still yawned in the bottom of their hearts, even though they were in Great Zhou. Some even felt that it was already good enough they hadn't been thrown into the dungeons as soon as they'd arrived. They'd never thought that the Zhou emperor would be so generous as to put them up in luxurious inns!

They were first startled by the flattery, then enveloped by reassurance. With this display of the emperor's attitude, that meant their safety were secure.