Virat's idea

After the ODI series ended, Virat and Rohit were in the former's room one evening when Rohit said, "I can't wait for Jinks to join us. You won't believe how much I've missed him!"

"I've missed him more," said Virat at once.

"You can't have!"

"Well, I have!"

They continued in this strain for a while before Rohit laughed and said, "If he was here, he'd say..."

"When will you two grow up?" groaned Virat in a wonderful imitation of Jinks' exasperated voice when he scolded them.

Rohit banged Virat on the back in admiration.

"Listen, let's give him a surprise party when he comes back," said Virat.

"Soon-to-be-a-father party?" asked Rohit.

"Yes, that, and also, welcome back. Whatever."

"Sure! Come on, we'll tell the others!"

___________

They managed to gather everyone in Virat's room.

"Our aim is to give Jinks a wonderful surprise party," said Virat in an official sort of voice.

There was an enthusiastic response at once.

"For it to be a proper surprise, kindly hold back your delight at meeting him when he comes back," continued Virat.

"Even if he feels bad about it?" asked Bhuvi.

"Yeah... it'll be fun to make him feel a little bad and then awfully happy," said Virat.

"Then we can all laugh about him about to become a father soon," said Rohit, his eyes gleaming. "Just like you did with me."

There was an instant roar of laughter at that.

"Seriously, Rohit, the idea of daddy Jinks isn't half as funny as daddy Ro," said Shikhar, still laughing.

"Unlike you, Jinks is perfect father material," said Virat wickedly.

"All right, it was just a suggestion," said Rohit sulkily.

"It's settled, then," said Virat with satisfaction. "When he comes back, keep this in mind, all of you."

__________

The moment Jinks reached the hotel, he dashed to look for Virat and Rohit.

On the way, he bumped into Rohit himself--like literally bumped, because Rohit had been running in his direction in a frantic manner.

"What's the matter with you?" demanded Jinks.

Rohit suddenly realised who it was and was about to fling his arms around Jinks and yell, 'Welcome back!' but then he quickly stopped himself.

"I've lost the Bluetooth Ritika gave me last month!" he said instead.

Jinks couldn't help feeling a little hurt at Rohit's unethusiactic reaction on meeting him after three months, but he attributed it to Rohit's preoccupation.

"Tell me something new," sighed Jinks. "When did you last see it?"

"Last night near the pool..." began Rohit and Yuzi came up to them noisily and said, "I've checked under all the carpets, but no good news. Hi, Jinks bhaiya!" he added, noticing him.

"Carpets? Have you starting leaving stuff under the carpet, too, now?" asked Jinks.

"Twice in England last month," said Yuzi, grinning.

"Oh," said Jinks slightly dully; he didn't quite like to be reminded of all his friends together during the World Cup.

But of course, Jinks had always been practical, and he did not dwell on stuff like that.

Rohit was wailing something about Ritika being furious with him and telling him that he'd be an awful father to Sam and nonsense like that, and Jinks interrupted hastily, saying, "Let's go through all the places you visited since the pool, Ro--and calm down."

Rohit stopped wailing, and they set off for the Bluetooth hunt.

It was a good two hours before Yuzi finally tracked it down. It had been hanging from a curtain.

"Nice place, Rohit bhaiya," he said.

Rohit carefully stuck it in his shirt pocket and told Yuzi fervently, "You're my best hunter ever."

Well, Jinks had always been his best hunter, but a lot could change after a team played a World Cup together, Jinks understood that.

Just then Virat looked into Rohit's room and waved at Jinks cheerfully. "Would've been too much of a bother to come and tell me you've come, I suppose."

"Don't blame me," said Jinks defensively. "We were looking for his lost Bluetooth."

Virat grabbed Jinks' arm and dragged him out. Rohit sent him an annoyed glance, because Virat was not supposed to act pleased at Jinks' arrival!

Virat gave him a reassuring nod as they went out.