chapter 1 - to new beginnings

Confirmation number: WGJA76KU

Booking status: Confirmed

KALISPELL, MONTANA

Flight number: AF7391

After weeks of going over the decision to do this; I can't believe it. I'm actually doing this.

How's a simple way to say this? - My life feels like it's falling apart. After graduating from undergrad, I just felt lost. I thought that what I was meant to do would magically appear right in front of my face and I would know. But that didn't happen. I just feel like I need a break. A time where I can focus on myself, and for once, do nothing. 

The end of my undergrad journey was pretty hectic. When it gets to the end, it becomes super important to actually pass your classes. Obviously, it should be important from the beginning. But if you don't pass a class right before graduation, you can't graduate for another few months. Which honestly isn't so bad, but let's face it, once the date is set, no one really wants to post pone something as big as your graduation. At least I didn't. 

Luckily, I graduated when I had planned to. However, the stress took a bit of a toll on me. The last year was challenging. Studying every night, being a full time student and working two jobs part time was extremely draining. I wanted to graduate so badly, and I love working hard because the outcome is worth it. But in the end, I was left essentially - drained. Yearning for some type of vacation - a breath of fresh air for once.

That's when I decided to take this trip. I had always seen those YouTube videos of people taking trips by themselves, and honestly, it was always appealing to me. I never thought that I would actually give in to the slight curiosity I got from watching people travel the world solo. Now that I'm actually doing it, it's quite scary. But also thrilling in the best way. 

I decided to go to the Glacier Park in Cracker Lake, Montana. It wasn't a place where I so longed to visit; it was more of a spur of the moment sort of decision. I've always wanted to go hiking in one of the best places, and upon a google search, this was one of them.

"Grace! Can you come here for a second?" Mother.

I close my laptop, hop off the bed, and begin walking out of my room, "Coming!"

Around the hallway, my mom is sitting on the couch reading a book with a red cover and drinking, what I'm assuming is, her favorite red wine in a glass. 

I wonder what time she got home; I didn't hear her come in. 

I'm happy with the decision I made, I just hope she is too. I'm going to do this regardless, but if I didn't have her support, it would still feel wrong. I just look up to her so much.

I wouldn't want to drag it out on when to tell her, and decide to tell her later on today. 

My mother, Leith, is a very laid back person and supports me in any and every decision I've made. But for some reason, I'm still anxious about informing her of my very fresh plans to suddenly fly across country and be a solo traveler. 

When she hears me walking up to her, she looks up.

"Hi lovebug, I was wondering if you wanted to go somewhere for lunch?" She smiles at me.

Perfect. I'll tell her at lunch.

"Yeah, sure!" I kneel beside the chair she's cuddled in.

"Okay... were you busy or anything?" She asks, seeming like she didn't want to interrupt anything I could have possibly been doing.

"No, I'd love to! I haven't eaten anything today yet so I'm starving!" I reach out and grab her hand. Her hand is warm in mine.

I admire her for a second, she's just so beautiful. I love her black curly hair, and especially her birthmark above her right eye. She always hated it, but I think it makes her unique.