News

25 ABY

Ben, 20, and Sara, 19, had been dating for two years already. She still lived in Hosnian Prime and worked as Lady Carise's assistant, and he had at least 2 more years at the Skywalker Temple. They talked weekly on the phone. That day she was dying to get to the apartment and call Ben – for she had great news.

The moment his face appeared on her screen she blurted:

"My father gave me a ship for my birthday!"

"What? That's awesome! Is it the YT-2400 that we talked about?"

"Yes! And he remodeled it inside so now I have my own apartment in it! For I certainly wouldn't be needing all that space for cargo, I don't plan on smuggling anything. I'm so happy!"

"I can see that." He was smiling. "I'm happy for you. And happy birthday, love, I wish I had spent the day with you."

"I know." She smiled at him – conscious of the lovesick fool she must be looking like but not caring. "Whenever your uncle says it's ok for me to visit, I'll fly there on the Mirrorbright."

"That's her name?" he arched an eyebrow.

"Yes. My ship, I choose her name."

"Will you let me pilot her?"

"Of course! She flies so smoothly, Ben."

And he loved her even more when she declared her love for ships, for he loved piloting too.

__________________________________________

A week later

Lady Carise had just returned from her trip to Birren and called Sara as soon as she had landed. Sara walked into her office and waited.

"Oh, my dear! I have so much to tell you." Lady Carise hugged Sara and turned around to pick something up from inside one of her many bags; she unwrapped the rectangular object she had in her hands and revealed it to Sara. "Look what I found in the Great Hall of Birren."

And Sara's heart nearly stopped as she recognized the sign on the box. "It's a treasure box." she whispered. "It is an alderaanian tradition to put your childhood's most precious objects inside a box for safekeeping."

"Only, this is not just any box, my dear." the smile on the woman's face had Sara worried. "This is Princess Leia's box."

Sara couldn't hide her shock at that information. She looked at the box closely and noticed it was unlocked. "You've opened it." she uttered half-accusingly. "It's a huge offense to open someone else's treasure box without their permission."

"Yes, I know. But I just had to peek inside." she wrapped it up again before continuing: "And I'm so glad I did. What a treasure this box holds." she laughed. "I found an unimaginable piece of information inside of it and I shall reveal it tomorrow."

"You will take this to the Senate meeting?" asked Sara.

"Yes."

"You should just give it back to its rightful owner. It's a punishable offense to..." she was about to repeat, but Lady Carise interrupted her:

"I know, dear Sara. And I understand your reservations; you were raised by the old traditions." Lady Carise tried to sound friendly but she sounded nothing but condescending: "I know. And I won't hold it against you." she touched Sara's hand, tenderly. "I know you are no traitor to our cause; I understand, it's just that old habits die hard. It's okay; you were taught to respect the Royal House of Alderaan. Tomorrow you don't even need to be by my side when I reveal this, but be close enough to listen to the meeting – I can promise you won't regret it."