Chapter 1

Carrie didn't believe in mythical creatures. She most definitely didn't believe in werewolves. However, the werewolf book she was currently enjoying on her Wattpad app was rather intriguing. The train pulled to a stop at the station, and the doors hissed open. A glance up from her story, she left out of her seat in a panic. Pushing through the crowds trying to get into the train while she tried to get off, she succeeded in getting off. 'Christ, that was a close one.' She muttered to herself dropping her phone into the pocket of her coat and looking around for the exit. It was the first day of her job in New York. She did the interviews, all three of them. It seemed a bit of an overkill for an entry-level role, but Carrie wasn't going to question why three interviews were warranted to deliver mail and coffee around the office. She was due at her new position in half an hour, plenty of time to stop by and collect a coffee. Though she wondered if that was a good idea. Her nerves and nearly missing her stop were keeping her on her toes as it was. Hoisting her oversized handbag higher onto her shoulder, she followed the multitude of black coat workers up the stairs and out onto the bright spring morning of the streets. She was relieved to no longer be underground. There was something uncomfortable about that, she much preferred New York's heavily scented air than to be in the confines of tunnels, trusting that there was a way out. She shuddered to think what would happen if the train broke down in the tunnel, it was a fear of hers she hoped would never come true. Another courtesy glance and she found her new workplace across the road from the station exit. A coffee shop stood behind her, deciding a coffee was a good idea, after all, she entered into the coffee permeated air and queued up for her coffee and a bagel she spied her eye on in the glass cabinet. Carrie's phone buzzed with a message, reaching for her phone in her beige coat, she checked the message, smiling. She'd gotten an alert for a Tinder match. Opening the app, she was pleased to see the match was rather attractive. At twenty-five, she wasn't ready to settle down. She'd broken up from her last relationship not six months ago. Four years invested into this jerk who-shall-not-be-named, from her hometown of Providence north of New York, she decided she needed a fresh start, far from the pitying eyes of her community. Everyone was sure she and Jerk-who-shall-not-be-named would be married childhood sweethearts. She invested everything into their relationship, and all she had to show for it was four years of, nothing. The only good thing that came out of that relationship was her Pug, Pig. She hoped he was ok in the apartment. She wasn't supposed to have pets there, but she couldn't bring herself to leave him behind with the Jerk or her family. She'd just have to hope he didn't make a racket when she wasn't there. With her freshly warmed bagel in hand and a coffee in the other, she crossed the lights to her workplace. A quick swipe to match and text message to her prospective tinder date, she tucked her phone into her pocket once again. To say she was nervous about work was an understatement. She was terrified. Outside of her comfort zone. Her reflection in the glass wall told her that the slicked back blonde hair was still in place in a bun and clothes were neat. With a deep breath she strode forward with determination, her pocket buzzed again, she started to fish it out and smacked into the glass wall. Clutching her head, she hissed with pain and looked up with one eye open. The workers of the building mostly ignored her, a couple laughed and continued walking inside, through the entrance, next to where she'd smacked into the glass. 'Are you alright?' she didn't dare look up at the man, who she was sure was smirking with amusement. 'Fine, I'm fine.' If feeling like her whole face was on fire was constituted as fine, she was just dandy. 'Can I walk you into the correct door?' He offered, she could see his hand outstretched towards the automated entrance. Carrie focused on picking at non-existent fluff on her outfit, muttering out a 'thanks'. She followed him inside. It was then she dared to take a look at her guide. She barely reached his shoulders, his dark hair had been neatly combed back with a thick comb. As if sensing she was checking him out, he twisted ever so slightly and looked down at her. She glanced back down, still embarrassed. 'Thanks,' she muttered at his glossy black shoes. 'I better get going.' She moved to get past him, only too bump into his shoulder. 'Sorry, again,' she said, wanting the ground to open up and swallow her whole. She only hoped she wouldn't meet him on her rounds. Thankfully the rest of Carrie's workday was uneventful. If not, dull. It wasn't the sort of work she'd aspired to do. In Providence, she'd completed a teaching degree. The same as her ex. She didn't want to consider venturing back into that career. She was floundering. In time, she hoped she'd find her feet. Her head was still sore from hitting the window with such force, wine was on the cards for tonight. Upon her exit from work, she was careful, if not, paranoid about where she walked, she made sure she didn't get distracted looking at her phone, making it out of the building unscathed. She was also grateful she hadn't run into her guide either, not that she'd have recognised him seeing she barely caught a look of his face. As she sat down on the subway train that haltered her towards her home, she couldn't help feeling sad. She was lucky she scored a job within days of entering New York, however, there was no one to share it with. Her friends sided with her ex for the most part. She realised she couldn't call them friends. They were his friends. Hers all dispersed when she started dating him. In hindsight, that should have been the first warning sign. Not wanting to sour her mood any further, she went back to the werewolf story on Wattpad. The best thing about reading, she deduced, was being able to escape to another world and forget her own. Especially that feeling she was being watched.

A/N: Hello! I know this starts off a little slow. It's going to get fun, I promise.  Please excuse the grammar and punctuation. If you feel strongly about it, send on a message and If I feel strongly about it, I'll fix it. ;) 

Please send love in the form of likes and comments! <3