Elementary, My Dear Watson

I wanted to start out this short story collection with a phrase that Sherlock Holmes never said. "WHAT?!" You may ask. But it's true, it's damn true.

The popular catchphrase never once appeared in the 60 Sherlock Holmes stories Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote. The closest we came to it was in the story The Adventure of The Crooked Man where Holmes says, "My dear Watson" and then four lines later, he says, "Elementary."

The first recorded use of the phrase was in the 1915 novel Psmith, Journalist by P.G. Wodehouse but the first time Sherlock Holmes said it was in the 1929 film The Return of Sherlock Holmes starring Clive Brook.

The point I am trying to make here by telling you all of this useless knowledge is that as soon as A Study In Scarlet (the very first Sherlock Holmes story) was published, people were making up their own stories involving the character. Some people tried to copy Doyle's style of writing, while others tried to create their own dynamic-duo, and then there were others who turned took the detectives and turned them from crime solvers into comedians.

The third is what I am intending to do.

Sherlock Holmes and his adventures are in the public domain and thus he is able to be enjoyed, loved, and made fun of, by all. They say parody is the highest form of flattery and with that being said, it is my hope to flattery you with these short stories of humor and fun.

Sincerely yours,

 The Swell Owl