Scream

I look behind me and find Artemis fatiguely limping behind me, wounded. Her hands are, too, red and sore. I quickly help her up and throw my backpack onto the grass, the cat moaning in pain. I whip out a roll of bandages and quickly wrap them around her wounds, and put some evergreen pines to secure the pull. I then proceed to rub teared apart bluemist leaves on her hands and they quickly regain colour. Artemis shakes them out, giving out a sigh of relief.
"My mother was a doctor," I explain. "She taught me natural remedies."
"Figures," She forces a smile. "Now I owe you two."
"Don't sweat it" I reassure her.

We continue walking down the path and I spot the ruins of what used to be my home. I stare at it as if I was grieving. She looks at me questionably, and as if I could read her mind, I nod. I take her hand and lead her in the direction of my home, where I last saw Alec. I spot Alec standing there, observing us. He looks pretty emotionless, as always. But this time there's a hint of something else in his eyes. Something more meaningful. But I just can't put my finger on it.

I spot a snake and I pull her close. Artemis, startled, widens her eyes and grabs onto my shoulders. She notices the situation and then blushes. I chuckle, and she looks around nervously, smiling. Nicos takes one last look at me and jolts out into the woods. I stare at him questionably. Without hesitation I run after him. As I limp after him in my attempt to sprint, a sharp pain enters my lower body. My legs throw themselves forwards and I fall to my back. I'm full of cuts and dirt. Blood running down my cheeks. I quickly wipe it off with my sleeves and look back at Artemis, holding the cat. She gives me a frightened look.

I hear screaming. But this time, it's carried by not one but many voices. There's nothing strange going on around... Not that I know of. Why would the villagers be screaming? Did I do something wrong? I slowly step back, clutching Artemis's upper arm. I look around, at my village. A once beautiful place, now just a dirt pile. The familiar delighted faces are now painted over with fear and somewhat regret. I glance over to the people, one after another. Everything coming back to me now. I see a little girl cuddled against her mother. This makes me feel hurt. It makes me grieve over my own loss, and imagine the pain whatever it is is causing. I crease my eyebrows in sympathy and look into the scared little girl's eyes, and through the tears, I see Artemis' seemingly innocent reflection looking right at me. Then it dawned on me. As if it's screaming right in my face.

They're not scared of me, they're scared of Artemis.

But why?