1.1

chapter one

♠️♥️♣️♦️

They say a soulmate is someone you have an immediate connection with the from the moment you meet- so strong that you're drawn to them in a force you can't explain... but in the brief conversation they had on her first day, she didn't feel it. She didn't know why. Maybe it was a feeling she hadn't identified just yet, however in that moment.... she simply didn't feel it.

But somehow he did. It was why he talked to her.....

l a u r e l

Laurel Castillo walked past the bureau parking lot, a large work bag in her hand. She hurried inside the building, stoping at the front desk to show her credentials and walk toward the elevator. Today was her first day in the FBI: Behavioral Analysis Unit. She had previously been a member of the CIA. While she loved her job, she felt that being responsible for sliding the dirty laundry of politicians under the bed was doing more harm than good. Since the training for both agencies was very similar, she did not have to take any classes before she would become a supervisory special agent. However, she had gone back to take some sociology classes and freshen up on her analysis of the human brain.

She had walked into the elevator and stood next to a man in a vest. He was sipping his coffee as Laurel gave him a smile. Startled, he gave her an awkward smile back as he pulled his coffee mug away from his lips. She fidgeted in her spot, thinking of what she was going to say. The unit chief- Aaron Hotchner- was her first kiss. They had met through a program called Model UN and ended up with their lips on each other's after one long night of studying. The pair had soon ended this potential relationship when Aaron met Haley and when Laurel met her first boyfriend- Mason.

"First day?" The man next to her asked. His voice was soft, yet unsteady and it wasn't as deep as you would expect it to be for someone older than Laurel. However she wasn't exactly sure he was even older than her.

She smiled at him with a sigh. "Uh yeah," She smiles. "The unit chief is an old friend so... I'm a little nervous to see him."

"Well, Hotch can be intimidating due to his classic alpha male attitude but he's nothing but considerate," The man explains, recalling his memories with his boss. "As an old friend, you'll probably be alright."

Laurel lets out a breathy chuckle. "Uh, thanks you," She smiles. "I'm Laurel."

"Oh I know," The man nods, looking in front of him. His response makes Laurel pause. The elevator opens to the floor they both wanted to get off on. They walked forward, onto the floor continuing to talk due to his admittance.

"What?" She asks with a confused chuckle. They pushed past the bureau doors as she glanced at him. She looked in front of her to see the room.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I actually read your case file a while back. I recognized your picture," The man points out, making Laurel nod in realization. She had to admit she felt slightly vulnerable with the eyes of the man on her now that she knew he was aware of her past. However, his smile and awkward yet kind nature pushed those thoughts away. "I'm Dr. Spencer Reid."