2.1

chapter three

♠️♥️♣️♦️

"Crime butchers innocence to secure a prize. And innocence struggles with all its might against the attempts of crime"

-Maximilien Robespierre

l a u r e l

Laurel walked into the BAU, her eyes droopy and her mannerisms slow. "Hey! Mornin', Laurel. How was your..." She heard as soon as she approached the area near her desk. "...Weekend." The man ended. She glanced from her desk to look at Spencer- the person who had greeted her- standing next Morgan at his desk.

She didn't feel like talking to them. She was tired. And it was Spencer's fault. However she did, unable to ignore the pair. She looked at the book in her hands and then walked over to Spencer.

"I was up all night, reading this damn book," She said, knocking the book against Spencer's chest. Spencer grabs onto the book, his hands brushing hers as she pulls away. Spencer looks down at the book and then it's pulled out of his hands by Morgan.

"Empty Planet," Morgan reads out loud as Spencer smiles. On Friday, Spencer had been looking at a book from his childhood and after a few exchanges, Laurel ended up deciding to read it. However, she didn't realize she wouldn't have enough time to read it until last night.

"Oh. So how did you like the book?" Spencer asks, Laurel's fatigue not registering to him. Laurel gives him a look before sharing a glance at Morgan.

"Reid she's tired cause she was up all night reading a book that you lent her," Morgan explains further as she nods in agreement.

"Oh. I- I'm sorry," Spencer says, as he looks at Laurel. He looks down at his desk and then picks up the cup of coffee on it. "Here drink this." She makes a disgusted face as he hands her the cup. "Just do it. You'll feel better, Laurel. It's five seconds of bitterness for about 5 hours of energy. If I had tea I would give it to you but I don't."

She hesitantly drinks it, cringing at the bitterness. However, she sighs when she feels her body taking in the caffeine. She already starts to feel better, which makes her even more irritated at the man who was standing in front of her. "I hate you," She mutters as she hands back the coffee cup.

He takes it back hesitantly and then sets it to the side of his desk. Laurel knew very well that Spencer was going to throw the paper cup away afterwards. In the month she had been here, she had learned he was a bit of a germaphobe. She had learned a lot about the people in this team. Aside from Elle as she had left two weeks ago.