Chapter 6: Caramel

No progress between Michael and me after the incident of me hearing his bet with Alyssa which was okay because it gave me time to recollect myself and focus on my life.

Who am I kidding? I’m so curious, it’s driving me nuts.

“Why don’t you just ask him?” Ro sighed as I began wiping the table, and she on resting on the couch during her break, “Obviously you want to know and Michael probably haves no problem telling you about it.”

“What gives you that idea?” I groaned as I moved to another table, and Ro shrugged, “Cause he haves a massive crush on you?”

“Oh funny, it’s just him being flirtatious as always.” I told her, but her response was a chuckled as she rolled her eyes at me. Of course.

“You must be extremely dense of not noticing how much he’s been spending time with you.”

“Probably because we’ve been talking all summer and this is our first time being in the same area with each other.” I crossed my arms at her, explaining, “Seriously, it’s harmless for boys and girls to hang out with each other, you know?”

“Unless that boy wants that girl in his arms.” Ro wiggled her brows at me, making me shake my head, and began cleaning.

“Can you work my shift tonight?” Ro asked as she got up, and smoothed out her apron, “It’s my cousin’s birthday tonight, and it’s that cousin who tends to have those over the top parties that makes you sick in the stomach.”

I scrunched my nose, and sighed, “Yeah, I can do it.”

“Thanks love!” Ro patted my back, and walked towards the back room to get ready to do her shift.

I sighed even more, thinking about Will. Ever since my move, I haven’t spoken to any of my siblings. Which is typical. Do I even need to explain why again? Will was always more supportive than May was, but it never excuses the way he treated me when it comes to partying. I remember those weekend nights when I would have to wait till Will comes back from a party, and I have to be the one to help him out of a friends car, and take care of him. May always refuses since she wants him to get caught but I thought otherwise. It’s typical sibling outcome. When one sibling gets in trouble, the others gets in trouble since “we didn’t help the sibling out”. Or at least that’s how it worked in my house.

Home. My heart sinks at the thought of it.

It was late now, and Ro is already gone, leaving me with the night shift. It wasn’t so bad. It was warm, the fire place was lit, and the music would be calming jazz music unlike during the day which would be more upbeat. I would love something upbeat at this moment cause I’m about to knock out any second.

“Isn’t this your first time working at night, Nat?” I heard one of the workers, Sam, asked me, and I nodded, “Yeah, and I’m so sleepy.”

She chuckled as she set up the cups, “I don’t blame you. The place is always so tempting to sleep in since it’s warm and the music is so calm.”

I rested my chin on the palm of my hand as I leaned down on the front counter, “Soda would be so nice right now.”

My eyes began to feel heavy, and my body felt warm, as if there was a blanket on me. Sleep would be nice. That’s when I let my eyes fall shut, letting me rest from holding them up for too long.

“Don’t be sleeping on the job, now.” I heard some say as the door bell went on, telling us that a customer came in.

I shot up, squeezed my eyes, fumbling on my words, saying, “So-sorry sir, what may I...” when I opened my eyes, I see a cozy Michael in a sweater, holding up soda cup and a paper bag.